Opinions on lapping one piece scope mounts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikear

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you guys think of lapping rings on the one piece scope mounts. I have a Bobro QD type for my AR. The prior scope had some minor ring marks on it once removed.

Thanks.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Properly torqued and true rings shouldn't leave marks. I'm pretty sure that quality one piece mounts are very true (especially CNCed Bobro) - if anything the scope tube might be not as straight. I wouldn't lap hard anodized surface, and I would be pissed if $200-rings needed it.

I personally don't sweat ring marks, but if it is a huge concern you should look into Burris Signature rings with inserts.

mikear

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Properly torqued and true rings shouldn't leave marks. I'm pretty sure that quality one piece mounts are very true (especially CNCed Bobro) - if anything the scope tube might be not as straight. I wouldn't lap hard anodized surface, and I would be pissed if $200-rings needed it.

I personally don't sweat ring marks, but if it is a huge concern you should look into Burris Signature rings with inserts.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not that concerned about the ring marks, just want everything to be as true as possible. I'm with you, I don't want to tear up the anodizing.

mikear

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just an update, I e-mailed Bobro with the same question.

Andrew Bobro responded, "No lapping is required, the rings are placed into a precision ground jig when they are bolted to the riser, and discrepancy is caught at that stage."

He went on to say he'd fix any issues free of charge ASAP if I felt I needed to send it in. I went ahead and mounted the scope and am going to call it good. Had a response from him within 12 hours (I sent the e-mail at 8pm).

Note that the ring marks I had were very, very light.

Thanks for the help, guys.