Opinions wanted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well since you mention adjustable length of pull.....if bolt action is okay, I recommend the Ruger Precision Rimfire. I've got a short armed 9yo and it fits her (can go shorter if needed) and the rest of the family can fit it to them with the flip of a lever. It's heavy but it's definitely a shooter.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll always recommend a 10/22, but I love my M60's too. While Marlin's reliability really started suffering at the turn of the century, big bad Freedom Group (now called Remington) really put a ton of money and effort into the failing brand. New Marlins are as reliable now as the pre-64 handfit models.

Freedom may have ruined Remington, but they absolutely saved Marlin from the Becoming-Taurus track they were on.

Get one of each.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll chime in on the Marlin side of the fence --- had mine since 1976. However, I absolutely love my new Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 Sport!

Why don't you get 4 different kinds so they can become familiar with the different types of guns and how to safely use them. Proper knowledge of firearms at an early age is usually a good way to 'keep 'em on the right path'. Best of luck in your decision!

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn PSA had a great deal on a 15-22, but it's out of stock. Depending on the kid they might like those better and it gets them used to shooting an AR.

Out of your picks I say 10/22

Gun Poor Pop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll always recommend a 10/22, but I love my M60's too. While Marlin's reliability really started suffering at the turn of the century, big bad Freedom Group (now called Remington) really put a ton of money and effort into the failing brand. New Marlins are as reliable now as the pre-64 handfit models.

Freedom may have ruined Remington, but they absolutely saved Marlin from the Becoming-Taurus track they were on.

Get one of each.
I believe I may just take your advice and try one of each. Thanks.

Gun Poor Pop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll chime in on the Marlin side of the fence --- had mine since 1976. However, I absolutely love my new Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 Sport!

Why don't you get 4 different kinds so they can become familiar with the different types of guns and how to safely use them. Proper knowledge of firearms at an early age is usually a good way to 'keep 'em on the right path'. Best of luck in your decision!

Thanks, that is very sound advice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom