Options - bolt gun in .223/5.56 with a detachable mag?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sportsmans’ Warehouse has Ruger American Ranch Gen 1 and II in stock in 5.56. Here’s the one I bought from them. Hoping my youngest (14) harvests a Coues buck with it a month from now.
IMG_3426.jpeg

crispy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t think there is a Remington with the feature set that I want(threaded barrel/external mag). Also I would Rather have a Bergara over a Remington in general.
You might be right. I don’t think there’s a stock option for a detached mag. The barrel I’m not sure about. I’ve only recently started diving into the 700s. But I was able to get a magpul stock with a detachable mag

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had Varmint models in Remington 700s and Savage 110s. They both shoot well as the 223 is a very accurate load with good good powder and bullets. The ones I have owned would literally bug hole and you can pump the velocity up. They have 2 sweet spots. One at a lower charge usually about 2 grains less of H322 or Vit 133 lower than the max loads. The other loads that are incredible accurate are right on the border of being too hot! Back when I owned them Lake City was abundant and cheap. I would sort them by weight after trimming and cleaning them up. I could shoot groups in the 2s with either rifle. I can only imagine how well they would shoot with Lapua, Peterson or Alpha brass. I am also thinking about building a nice 223 as they way cheaper to shoot than the 300 PRC I thought I had to have. Im thinking about a Howa 1500 barreled action and good stock from Stocky's or HS Precision. The Howa's come with a 2 stage trigger and bottom metal and saves a lot of money. Good luck! I think you really enjoy the 223 no matter what brand you decide on.