OSA Chit Chat Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After only getting one call back from a plumber, I decided to try to fix the water heater myself. I’ve replaced the heating element and breaker and still no hot water, so I just replaced the thermostat board.
I hate cold showers and made up a few new cuss words last night while I tried to catch my breath as I washed all the soap off.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After only getting one call back from a plumber, I decided to try to fix the water heater myself. I’ve replaced the heating element and breaker and still no hot water, so I just replaced the thermostat board.
I hate cold showers and made up a few new cuss words last night while I tried to catch my breath as I washed all the soap off.
Laughing at that last part, not your bad luck! I don't know about plumbers, but HVAC people out here are getting way hard to pin down, especially to get them to call back once they figure out you're 30 minutes from Elk City!

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fill a few buckets and set out in the sun. Whala! Hot water
Have camping shower I made 30 yrs ago. 12 volt bilge pump, garden hose with shower head attached. Heat water 12qt pot to boil, pour in 5 gal bucket top off with cold water hook pump up to battery or vehicle. Enough warm water for 2 people to take shower if you don't waste it. Have used in house when my water heater quit me and waiting on replacement being ordered. Beats the crap outta cold showers.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Probably can install a new one about as economically as replacing parts or wait for/paying a plumber. It’s not hard I’ve done it a couple of times.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Broadcasting today from BFTXP (thats Bumf*** Texas Panhandle if you were wondering), between Canadian and Miami, TX. Whole lot of nothing up here, would love to get to hunt it though! And yes, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for snattlerakes!
View attachment 483723

Your pic reminded me of f "Split Rock" in Wyoming. We've been there a couple of times on our motorcycle trips. Split Rock was an important 'marker' for the Oregon Trail. It could be seen for many miles from the east and the west guiding the trail travelers in the proper direction

1717799728977.png

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably can install a new one about as economically as replacing parts or wait for/paying a plumber. It’s not hard I’ve done it a couple of times.
I figure you’re right that it’s probably cheaper to buy a new one versus calling a plumber, but the new thermostat, new breaker, and new heating element were less than $75. Granted, it’s still not heating, but as far as I can tell, there shouldn’t be anything else to replace. There’s power all the way to the heating element, so unless the new heating element or thermostat are bad, I have no idea why it’s not heating water. :scratch:

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I figure you’re right that it’s probably cheaper to buy a new one versus calling a plumber, but the new thermostat, new breaker, and new heating element were less than $75. Granted, it’s still not heating, but as far as I can tell, there shouldn’t be anything else to replace. There’s power all the way to the heating element, so unless the new heating element or thermostat are bad, I have no idea why it’s not heating water. :scratch:

Yup. If you have power to the element…..makes no sense.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It sounds like you know how to measure the voltage to the heating element. If that is correct, the replacement element is defective.
The thermostat is out of the picture with correct power at the element. That is the end of the line the thermostat controls.

Latest posts

Top Bottom