OSBI said to mail my CCW back.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Several states have non-resident permits. When I moved to Oklahoma from Virginia, I converted my resident permit to a non-resident and carried in Oklahoma on that until it expired and I got my Oklahoma permit. I also kept a copy of an email from OSBI stating that they recognized my non-resident VA permit just in case.

Oklahoma does not have a non-resident permit.

Is there any way I can either get a copy of that email or find out how to get one sent to me? I carry on a VA non-resident.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right, but is that the law or do they make stuff up like the BATFE? Because I've never read that in the multiple times I've read the handbook.

OSBI has revocation authority...if you write them and tell them you no longer live in Oklahoma, the result is obvious and doesn't really need to be spelled in out in the letter of the law.

-Maximus-

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OSBI has revocation authority...if you write them and tell them you no longer live in Oklahoma, the result is obvious and doesn't really need to be spelled in out in the letter of the law.

We felt it was easier to ask them what should be done then find out we are not legally carrying in CO due to them pulling our CCL's.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You did the right thing because if you ever move back to Okla. and it was revoked instead of turned in, you might not be able to get another one.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you quote this section of law?

Sure, no problem:
The person shall be required to have possession of his or her valid handgun license and a valid Oklahoma driver license or an Oklahoma State photo identification at all times when in possession of an authorized pistol. Any violation of the provisions of this subsection may be punishable as a criminal offense as authorized by Section 1272 of this title or pursuant to any other applicable provision of law. In addition to any criminal prosecution which may result from not carrying the handgun license and the .......

An OK CHL without an OK driver's license (or military ID and orders to OK) is invalid, period. OSBI administratively allows 30 days to return, but legally you have to stop carrying concealed the minute you turn in your OK driver's license and are no longer a resident.

As far as carrying in OK with a valid out-of-state license, like from VA, you can continue in OK as long as the VA license remains valid.

CO is the bad boy in this case by refusing to honor any non-resident license, otherwise a UT license would solve everything. Incidentally, CO did recognize the UT non-res until the current CO legislature got a demo super-majority and messed up the CO law. This prohibits people from states like IL to conceal carry in CO at all.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow... Never noticed these sections before. This also means if your DL expires, you technically can't carry - it's not valid until it is renewed.

All the more reason to make sure you get to the tag agent before it expires!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seriously, whats the difference between having it revoked and turning it in? You still can't carry either way. It's beyond hysterical that they expect you to return it to them on your dime like its their property.

If I moved out of the state, I'd never tell them about it and allow it to expire, rather than turn it in. I wouldn't carry on it, but I wouldn't "give it back" either.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure, no problem:

An OK CHL without an OK driver's license (or military ID and orders to OK) is invalid, period. OSBI administratively allows 30 days to return, but legally you have to stop carrying concealed the minute you turn in your OK driver's license and are no longer a resident.

As far as carrying in OK with a valid out-of-state license, like from VA, you can continue in OK as long as the VA license remains valid.

CO is the bad boy in this case by refusing to honor any non-resident license, otherwise a UT license would solve everything. Incidentally, CO did recognize the UT non-res until the current CO legislature got a demo super-majority and messed up the CO law. This prohibits people from states like IL to conceal carry in CO at all.

Thank you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom