Overdue toll charge scam

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just paid a plate pay collection agency Harris & Harris in Chicago $65 for charges I never got a bill for and no notices from collections for from when I sold my Jeep and the new owner drove on the Kirkpatrick going home. Original toll was freakin $8 and collection hits me 2yrs later for $65. So I paid the $65 and they charged me a double tap on my card. Two hours on phone on hold to get 2nd 65 back but It took 45 days to get the 2nd tap refunded by mail.
So why is my pike pass charges less than Plate Pay allowed to charge so much more than? And use non Oklahoma vendors to collect?
Also this charge date the automatic toll booths were just starting on Kirkptrick structures and signage not completed.
Harris & Harris says they are contracted (out of state in Chicago) to the Okla Transportation Authority to collect tolls.
Also in my 60+ yrs of driving Okla turnpikes, they have been down to one lane each way under construction 99% of the trips. 4 lanes open is rare.

Last edited:

psimp

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ALWAYS expect it’s a scam when I receive any email not expected. All you need to do is click on sender and you’ll see if it’s a legit URL/sender, like “company name”.com - NOT 13653ftfvj543@… - very easy to do, just hold finger on sender DISPLAY name and it will show the actual email address

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They aren't mailing out bills, you will discover the fees and penalties when you renew your tag. A $5 toll might be $50, and you will have to take care of it before you can get a sticker, so at least two trips to the tag office too.

Now you know why we have the twitter bird plates, these like mosts States, have designed the colors and background to be very easy to read for infrared light cameras. If you don't want your license plate scanned, you will need to make it more "invisible" to the cams.
You sure on this? Seems they ARE sending out bills.

PlatePay is the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority's Cashless Tolling System.

Cashless tolling technology allows motorists to continue through toll plazas without stopping to pay a toll and instead customers may pay tolls online at their convenience.

Cameras at these toll plazas take a photo of the vehicle’s license plate as the vehicle passes through and then:

• If the driver has a PIKEPASS, the account is charged as usual.

• If the driver does not have a PIKEPASS, OTA will mail an invoice to the registered owner of the vehicle. The PlatePay rate is higher than the PIKEPASS rate. To avoid the higher rate, we encourage customers to open a PIKEPASS account.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just paid a plate pay collection agency Harris & Harris in Chicago $65 for charges I never got a bill for from when I sold my Jeep and the new owner drove on the Kirkpatrick going home. Original toll was freakin $8 and collection hits me 2yrs later for $65. So I paid the $65 and they charged me a double tap on my card. Two hours on phone on hold to get 2nd 65 back but It took 45 days to get the 2nd tap refunded by mail.
So why is my pike pass charges. Plate Pay allowed to charge so much more than? And use non Oklahoma vendors to collect?
Also this charge date the automatic toll booths were just starting on Kirkptrick structures and signage not completed.
Harris & Harris says they are contracted (out of state in Chicago) to the Okla Transportation Authority to collect tolls.
Also in my 60+ yrs of driving Okla turnpikes, they have been down to one lane each way under construction 99% of the trips. 4 lanes open is rare.

Goobermint is doing it's very best to do a great job and take care of its ungrateful citizenry.

Had I got a bill of that type, from out-of-state, at that time period; I would have asked for PROOF of charges. IF they presented dated, timed photo of the plate; showing the vehicle had been sold, with name of buyer, should have sufficed.

At that time, also, keeping your plate would have prevented the situation.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Cashless tolling technology allows motorists to continue through toll plazas without stopping to pay a toll and instead customers may pay tolls online at their convenience.

Cameras at these toll plazas take a photo of the vehicle’s license plate as the vehicle passes through and then:

• If the driver does not have a PIKEPASS, OTA will mail an invoice to the registered owner of the vehicle. The PlatePay rate is higher than the PIKEPASS rate. To avoid the higher rate, we encourage customers to open a PIKEPASS account
But they never invoiced the original $8 and took 2yrs boosting the fees.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you ride the center line, on a motorcycle between lanes getting on and off, they never know you were there.
I was told by a friend. lol

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

• If the driver does not have a PIKEPASS, OTA will mail an invoice to the registered owner of the vehicle. The PlatePay rate is higher than the PIKEPASS rate. To avoid the higher rate, we encourage customers to open a PIKEPASS account.
Plate pay is the new way to get out of state drivers passing through OK who may not buy fuel and pay any sort of a road tax. Its not meant for your convenience or cutting payroll at booths. If your from Kansas and driving through to TX and use a pike, you get a bill in the mail.
The OTA is as corrupt as it gets in OK. It was established for 1 thing, to build a Pike from Tulsa to OK and afterwards it was to be disbanded.
Now its grown into a corrupt monster.
All state agencies are to be non profit but the OTA is holding (last I heard) over $65,000,000 in unspent tax revenue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom