P99

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I particularly like their ambidextrous mag release which is located at the rear of the trigger guard.

That's exactly why I had to get rid of mine. I don't know how, but I would inadvertently drop the mag out of the gun after a round or two, apparently from barely touching the mag release on the trigger guard somehow. This also happened to a friend that shot the gun as well.

I've owned Sigs, H&K's, Kahrs, etc. and have never had an issue (obviously because they don't have a trigger guard release), but I don't believe my finger is rubbing the trigger guard either.

Otherwise, I loved the gun. Felt like it was made for my hand. But I'll never take the chance of having a gun with a trigger guard mag release - of any kind.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's unusual, all my P99's mag releases took a decent amount of force to release the mag. Not something you do accidently, on MY guns.
Was this a Walther or Smith?

That's exactly why I had to get rid of mine. I don't know how, but I would inadvertently drop the mag out of the gun after a round or two, apparently from barely touching the mag release on the trigger guard somehow. This also happened to a friend that shot the gun as well.

I've owned Sigs, H&K's, Kahrs, etc. and have never had an issue (obviously because they don't have a trigger guard release), but I don't believe my finger is rubbing the trigger guard either.

Otherwise, I loved the gun. Felt like it was made for my hand. But I'll never take the chance of having a gun with a trigger guard mag release - of any kind.

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was a Walther. I agree. I think that it was way too sensitive and that it should have a lot more travel before releasing the mag. Maybe it was a defect, but I couldn't risk having a gun that might be prone to dropping a mag right when I really needed it.

So I sold it to my friend! LOL He knew about the problem, though. To my knowledge, it hasn't happened to him yet, but I don't think he's fired too many rounds through it yet.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score

The trigger guard release is a European design, and actually the new HK's use the same type. I love the design and it has some great benefits (like being easier to use with gloved hands). The earlier models of Walther had a shorter mag release lever (and hump), the later ones are a bit different. I've never had a problem with it, and agree that it must have been particular to your pistol.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
That's the primary reason I disliked my wife's P22, was the mag release. I never shot a P99, but I popped the mag release way too many times on accident with the P22. Besides, I want the mag release consistent for carry guns.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the primary reason I disliked my wife's P22, was the mag release. I never shot a P99, but I popped the mag release way too many times on accident with the P22. Besides, I want the mag release consistent for carry guns.

Although the P22 mag release is in the same place, it's a bit different than the P99. I found the P22 release to be a little harder to use than I thought it should be, but maybe that was just me.

As far as the design of the safety itself, I think it's far superior to the typical "push button" mag release. But, I'll admit that I'm prejudice. I can't tell you how many times I have accidentally dumped a mag with that system, but I have yet to do it with a Walther. I accidentally crapped more mags on the ground with 1911 platforms than anything else.

The whole Walther grip was designed by a famous target gun fellow, and you can feel it when you grip one. You'll notice that some of their features are starting to show up in other high quality firearms - such as HK.

I'm not going to say they are best for everyone. They aren't. It's like cars or women, we all have our preferences. But as far as guns go, I'm a firm believer that someone will shoot with a firearms that is more comfortable to them, and for me that's the P99. Some people swear by the feel of a Magnum Research Desert eagle - which takes me about 3 hands just to shoot. Same with a GLOCK. I've owned a buttload of GLOCKS and I can't complain about their dependability. However, they still feel like a block of wood in my hand and that effects my accuracy (I get a similar experience with XD's).

Latest posts

Top Bottom