P99

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my opinion, one of the best pistols made (and yes, I've owned a ton). I've owned over a dozen P99's but like a fool kept selling them when someone would offer me enough profit. I recently got a 1st generation one that is all German manufacture and plan on keeping it. Now that everyone has found out about them, they are getting harder than hell to get ahold of.

I have had several SW99's too. There are a few differences in them, such as the slide, but they too are a good firearm.

If you're a fan of the actions similar to GLOCK, then you'd probably appreciate the QA more. In fact, one of the original designers for the P99 was Horst Webst (SP), who also was of GLOCK fame. I much prefer the features of the P99's.

My personal favorite is the AS, but there are several different ones to choose from.

The only other comparable pistols that I've noticed is the HK P30, and that may be next on my list.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot both the S&W 99 and Walther P99QA. I have used them in IDPA and the Walther is my bedside gun. Both have been totally reliable with a wide variety of factory ammo and handloads and surprisingly accurate for a short barreled pistol. I particularly like their ambidextrous mag release which is located at the rear of the trigger guard.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your statement that, "but its not for everyone" can be applied to any gun.
So I'm curious if you have problems with it, other than it not fitting you.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your statement that, "but its not for everyone" can be applied to any gun.
So I'm curious if you have problems with it, other than it not fitting you.

There isnt one gun out there that would fit everyone, and I never said there was. OP asked about a P99 and was told to buy a M&P instead. Although I imagine it was done in jest, when people ask about a gun and get the fanboy response all-the-time, it gets a little old.

Other than the way it fits my hand... no issues what-so-ever.

me said:
The M&P is a fine gun, but its not for everyone, regardless of what its fans believe.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a big Walther P99 fan, I have 3 of em. Not sure I would sell them at any price. I definitely prefer the all German Walther over the S&W, the Walther seems tighter and more refined. Never had a single failure out of my P99's. I had a SW99 and sold it shortly after buying it.
I also have 3 M&P's, but still prefer the P99 although they are pretty much safe queens now. I use my Glocks for the dirty work :D

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There isnt one gun out there that would fit everyone, and I never said there was. OP asked about a P99 and was told to buy a M&P instead. Although I imagine it was done in jest, when people ask about a gun and get the fanboy response all-the-time, it gets a little old.

Other than the way it fits my hand... no issues what-so-ever.
Recommending another platform isn't necessarily a "fanboy" response.
Although, reasons for recommending another platform usually separate the fanboys from the people trying to help. I do understand what you mean tho'.

Latest posts

Top Bottom