Panic Attacks...help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only WISH this were true. :( Unfortunately, writing a script for Xanax is the easiest, fastest and most sure way to get someone complaining of "anxiety problems" out of your hair, as a practitioner. And NO ONE complains about a Xanax script. Now... to be clear, when I say "anxiety problems" I'm not talking about the OP or his scenario. However, this drug, Xanax, is so vastly and overwhelmingly overprescribed in the US and especially in Oklahoma it is absolutely ridiculous. If you had any clue in the world how many people out there are driving the same roads as you, in their big ol' SUVs, all stoned out of their minds on Xanax, you'd never want to leave the house again, either.

I'm telling you, folks, it is CRAZY how damn many people are on this crap. CRAZY.

Me. Classic case. My family Dr in CA had me on three low dose (.5s) Xanaxs a day after a brief time being on the lowest dose of Ativan- mostly for sleep anxiety but also some light anxiety. I loved the Ativan, was like smoking a couple of bongs without the eebie jeebies. (And this is the same Dr who I got my MM card from weirdly). Once I was on the Xanax I would cut them in half though and only take them in the evening because a good part of the time they were still working the next morning after I woke up and sometimes even into the next day almost screwing with my ability to function and safely drive a vehicle, thankfully being self employed I was on my own schedule and I could work around it. My new Dr when I married my wife and got moved out here to OK- my wifes long time family MD- has worked with me on weaning myself off of them and getting into some counseling.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me. Classic case. My family Dr in CA had me on three low dose (.5s) Xanaxs a day after a brief time being on the lowest dose of Ativan- mostly for sleep anxiety but also some light anxiety. This the same Dr who I got my MM card from. I would cut the Xanax in half though and only take them in the evening because they were still working the next morning after I woke up and sometimes even into the next day almost screwing with my ability to function and safely drive a vehicle, thankfully being self employed I was on my own schedule and I could work around it. My new Dr when I married my wife and got moved out here to OK- my wifes long time family MD- worked with me on weaning myself off of them and getting some counseling.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this, even though it feels like it. Thank you for your PM too.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The one I want, Atavan(sp?), they won't prescribe me. It's the one they give me in the ER and it's the only one that stops the attacks. I haven't found it easy to get them to give me anything.

There's a reason for this...

I loved the Ativan, was like smoking a couple of bongs without the eebie jeebies.

And this is it.

Benzos should NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT be used chronically for anxiety issues. They are for occasional and acute uses ONLY. That's my philosophy, anyways. I won't prescribe them. Xanax is on my "never in a million years" list, along with only 2 or 3 other meds. Ativan is on my "almost never" list. Only in extremely specific circumstances. Probably only written that one 2-3 times in the last 2 months, never for more than 10 tablets.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a reason for this...

And this is it.

Benzos should NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT be used chronically for anxiety issues. They are for occasional and acute uses ONLY. That's my philosophy, anyways. I won't prescribe them. Xanax is on my "never in a million years" list, along with only 2 or 3 other meds. Ativan is on my "almost never" list. Only in extremely specific circumstances. Probably only written that one 2-3 times in the last 2 months, never for more than 10 tablets.

I understand completely. They gave me Vistaril to take when I have an attack to stop them. They do nothing.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suffered from severe panic attacks for several years back in the early 1990's. I did a lot of research and it showed that it is adrenaline based on the "fight or flight" response all humans have had since time began. Only problem is you are in a situation that you can't fight or flee. I did various things that have been suggested but one thing pretty much ended them. Out of the blue my wife left me while I was at work and took all the money (probably deep down I suspected something was going bad so the attacks started). When I got home I realized what happened and a panic attack started. I basically said to myself screw it, if this is gonna kill me then bring it on. I just didn't care anymore. The attack subsided and I realized that it was only adrenaline and wasn't gonna kill me so I didn't fear a panic attack anymore. After realizing this I never had a bad one again as when one would start I would remember that I could beat it. It's the fear of one that cripples you and makes it worse. I wish you luck as they are horrible to experience.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand completely. They gave me Vistaril to take when I have an attack to stop them. They do nothing.

Vistaril is actually an antihistamine with anti-anxiety properties, can work but not the best. Paxil is used for panic attacks but I don't recommend it, made me not give a crap about anything.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I suffered from severe panic attacks for several years back in the early 1990's. I did a lot of research and it showed that it is adrenaline based on the "fight or flight" response all humans have had since time began. Only problem is you are in a situation that you can't fight or flee. I did various things that have been suggested but one thing pretty much ended them. Out of the blue my wife left me while I was at work and took all the money (probably deep down I suspected something was going bad so the attacks started). When I got home I realized what happened and a panic attack started. I basically said to myself screw it, if this is gonna kill me then bring it on. I just didn't care anymore. The attack subsided and I realized that it was only adrenaline and wasn't gonna kill me so I didn't fear a panic attack anymore. After realizing this I never had a bad one again as when one would start I would remember that I could beat it. It's the fear of one that cripples you and makes it worse. I wish you luck as they are horrible to experience.

This!!! Once I accepted that I would have attacks and they weren't something to be afraid of, they became less frequent and less intense. The trick is you can't just tell yourself that, you have to come to realize it deep down and honestly believe it before it works. (but telling yourself until you believe is one way to get there..)

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's why I chose to fight through the 4 hour one. My wife and son wanted me to go to the ER, but I chose to stay home and fight it. My hands hurt so bad during and after from the contortions and I was very dizzy for hours after...but I got through it.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's why I chose to fight through the 4 hour one. My wife and son wanted me to go to the ER, but I chose to stay home and fight it. My hands hurt so bad during and after from the contortions and I was very dizzy for hours after...but I got through it.

Dude that sounds awful. Mine just make me feel like I wanna crawl outa my skin without any contortions but that's bad enough.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom