"Pimping" out a G17??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing I've ever done to any of my Glocks is as follows:

An extended mag release button, which is actually a standard factory/OEM G20/21 button - it fits perfectly and extends it just right.

A factory/OEM Glock extended slide stop. This isn't really "necessary" but it does dress it up a little. ;)

A butt plug. Glocks just look more solid with a good butt plug. Personally, I prefer the ones made by Pearce.

And finally...factory/OEM Glock "+" basepads are kinda handy. I like 'em on my spare carry mags, but not in the one in the gun. Why you may ask? I dunno...just my own personal thang. I'm afraid they could be knocked off from a car door, seatbelt, chair, filing cabinet, etc if in the gun. But, I like 'em on my spare mags on the belt, because they can be firmly seated.

I also don't use them for the extra round(s) they will hold, but rather, the ease of insertion. Kinda like when you download the mag by one? The "+" basepads let you load them to full capacity and they seat more positively without a lot of force, which is better on the mag as well as being better on your mag catch.

Beware of aftermarket "+" basepads like those from Scherer and a few others...they will pop off when you are least expecting it, causing your mag to jetison it's ammo supply, leaving you basically with a single shot pistola. :homer: But the factory/OEM "+" basepads are good. :respect:

Other than that, I say just lots of mags and ammo.

And don't worry about the stout trigger pull on that G17. In a short period of time, you'll think it's just right and the 1911's is too damned light. :yikes2:

Glocks grip and trigger pull have damn near ruined my chances for any other pistol. :grumble:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some will also praise a good set of night sights. I like 'em too, but only if I get a gun that already has 'em on it. I don't think I've ever bought a set of NS for a carry gun, especially a Glock. If you hone your night fire drills and flashlight useage/technique, it will illuminate your front sight perfectly.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some will also praise a good set of night sights. I like 'em too, but only if I get a gun that already has 'em on it. I don't think I've ever bought a set of NS for a carry gun, especially a Glock. If you hone your night fire drills and flashlight useage/technique, it will illuminate your front sight perfectly.

*COUGH* Maybe a certain someone needs to start a thread about his flashlight useage/technique. *COUGH*

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
*COUGH* Maybe a certain someone needs to start a thread about his flashlight useage/technique. *COUGH*

Yeah, I could do that...but I'll leave that up to our various instructors here. That's what they do - INSTRUCT.

We have many, many very fine and gifted instructors here on OSA. I'm J.A.F.O. - Just Another F:censored:ing Observer. :thumb:

But I DO know what I'm doing when it comes to night fire. ;)

dauthement1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm really wanting to lighten/take some slack out of my G17 trigger. Take care of over travel, get some night sights, maybe a lighter recoil spring etc. What else can you do to "sweeten" up a glock? I like my 1911 way better, but damn I need a beater that I can use and abuse. This G17 is like new and sits in the nightstand, but I'd like to get it out and beat it up a little, lol.

Ghost 5lb connector?
Extenended Mag release?
Lighter recoil spring?
Guide rod?

Thanks fellas!

Get your gun to O'Yeller "Accurate Iron" and let him do a trigger job. Very reasonable on price and you have someone you can call with questions!! He can also advise you on any other upgrades or finishes, sights etc... He knows guns and how to use them!!
http://www.accurate-iron.com/

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mods done to my G-17 gen 3: 10-8 sights, steel guide rod, trigger job, stippled frame, extended mag release,Jentra butt plug.

As far as having a gun to 'beat up',mine has literally thousands of rounds shot thru it (previous owner shot comp with it) and shoots like a champ- anything and everything shoots out of it without a blip. I carry smaller pistols for CC obviously, and own other more expensive and definitely prettier full size pistols, but this is my #1 main go-to: target/practice/plinking shooter,HD at home,answer the door gun,carried around in my truck,take when I go down to my land,fishing gun,something for my kids to shoot,etcetc. O ya,and it has a resting place on my coffee table when I'm home- and hasnt gone off yet...

[Broken External Image]

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Gen 2 Glock 17, the only mod I've made to it is to add an Advantage Arms LE .22 kit so I can have cheap trigger time.

The money I've saved I intend to put into training.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
O ya,and it has a resting place on my coffee table when I'm home- and hasnt gone off yet...

[Broken External Image]

Don't let the vacuum near you coffee table!!!

My 17 is compensated from the factory and I don't know why I wanted it, just thought it would be nice for follow-up shots and such. That was the first pistol I bought and did not know nothing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom