Pistol for bears?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good options so far and I know that, usually, bigger is better, but do you think .44 mag isn't enough?

I think the .44mag properly loaded will fail at about the same rate as any of the other (bigger) calibers.
None of them should be carried with any degree of confidence into......a bearfight.

To get into the margins of effectiveness you are going to sacrifice portability.....meaning a 12ga, etc....which is no fun hiking.

Basically as long as you are going to tote a handgun the .44mag will do just about all you can expect.
Load w/ the heaviest, hard cast SWCs available. (skip the hollowpoints)

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

45 shooter

Marksman
Reaction score
I sometimes backpack in Arkansas, where the bears tend to be smaller. As a backpacker, gun weight becomes an important consideration. I usually leave the heavy stuff at home and feel quite comfortable with a single stack .357 SIG. Small enough to not overly burden me, but I figure if I empty the clip into a black bear it should do the trick.

Talacker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Grizzlies aren't native to Colorado. The .44 Mag is enough for the Black Bears in CO. The Bull Moose is the one to be weary of.

This. They are native but have been exterminated. I was in CO two weeks ago and a bull moose waltzed right through the camp at lunch time. Scary but pretty cool.

Latest posts

Top Bottom