Poll: Marijuana Law Reform

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you support allowing physician-authorized patients to consume therapeutic cannabis

• yes

Votes: 278 79.7%
  • no

Votes: 71 20.3%

• Total voters

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It will get much more stable as a business if it ever becomes national. As it is, OK and NE are suing CO over CO weed coming into those states. It's as if they believe that MJ isn't already readily available in those states. They seem to prefer the current black market of crappy cartel Reggie MJ and the cost of enforcement and incarceration to the millions in tax revenue from the legal MJ economic activity.

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know for a fact that weed makes people lazy as I was around it half of my life. They smoke it and veg-out in front of the tube. They put off doing their homework and their grades suffer. They just want to chill. People on alcohol still work on cars, or go dancing, work on the yard or whatever, but, I agree that Alcohol is much worse for you and that the effects the next day is much worse, where there is no effect the next day on weed.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know for a fact that weed makes people lazy as I was around it half of my life. They smoke it and veg-out in front of the tube. They put off doing their homework and their grades suffer. They just want to chill. People on alcohol still work on cars, or go dancing, work on the yard or whatever, but, I agree that Alcohol is much worse for you and that the effects the next day is much worse, where there is no effect the next day on weed.

Let's just be clear.. The people that YOU know only vegged out in from of the TV. That does not mean all people who smoke pot do that. Pot lovers do enjoy music and dancing, mowing the lawn, planting organic veggies, playing sports, etc etc.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This post reminds me of the people that think anyone that drinks is an alcoholic. There are all different levels of consumption and types of people

CharlieMurphy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The type of weed effects the response. There is upper weed and downer weed and I don't know who I am weed as well. I quit a long time ago, all weed made me paranoid.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
PORTLAND, Ore. -- After just one week of recreational marijuana sales, Oregon dispensaries have raked in an estimated $11 million.

That figure could mean the state's estimate is shockingly low for how much money it'll make when pot taxes kick in this January.

When Oregon voters approved recreational marijuana, the state set an estimate of $9 million in net tax revenue for the first full year of 2017. But the Oregon Retail Cannabis Association believes it'll bring in three to four times that much.

http://www.kgw.com/story/news/2015/...reational-pot-sales-tops-11-million/73558096/

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finding cannabinoids in hair does not prove cannabis consumptionBiology (nature.com)
http://www.nature.com/articles/srep14906

Abstract

Hair analysis for cannabinoids is extensively applied in workplace drug testing and in child protection cases, although valid data on incorporation of the main analytical targets, ∆9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and 11-nor-9-carboxy-THC (THC-COOH), into human hair is widely missing. Furthermore, ∆9-tetrahydrocannabinolic acid A (THCA-A), the biogenetic precursor of THC, is found in the hair of persons who solely handled cannabis material. In the light of the serious consequences of positive test results the mechanisms of drug incorporation into hair urgently need scientific evaluation. Here we show that neither THC nor THCA-A are incorporated into human hair in relevant amounts after systemic uptake. THC-COOH, which is considered an incontestable proof of THC uptake according to the current scientific doctrine, was found in hair, but was also present in older hair segments, which already grew before the oral THC intake and in sebum/sweat samples. Our studies show that all three cannabinoids can be present in hair of non-consuming individuals because of transfer through cannabis consumers, via their hands, their sebum/sweat, or cannabis smoke. This is of concern for e.g. child-custody cases as cannabinoid findings in a child’s hair may be caused by close contact to cannabis consumers rather than by inhalation of side-stream smoke.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.bostonherald.com/news_op...0/doctors_pioneer_pot_as_an_opioid_substitute

Hundreds of opioid addicts are being treated with medical marijuana in Massachusetts, with advocates touting the new therapy as a life-changing alternative to a deadly epidemic — and facing down critics who contend they are peddling junk science.

“We have a statewide epidemic of opioid deaths,” said Dr. Gary Witman of Canna Care Docs, a network of facilities that issue medicinal marijuana cards in seven states, including nine clinics in Massachusetts. “As soon as we can get people off opioids to a nonaddicting substance — and medicinal marijuana is nonaddicting — I think it would dramatically impact the amount of opioid deaths.”

Witman, who works out of a Fall River Canna Care clinic, says he has treated about 80 patients who were addicted to opioids, muscle relaxers or anti-anxiety medication with cannabis using a one-month tapering program. More than 75 percent of those patients stopped taking the harder drugs, Witman said.

Cannabis, Witman said, can treat the symptoms patients had been using opioids to manage, such as chronic pain or anxiety — and treat them far more safely.

Dr. Harold Altvater of Delta 9 Medical Consulting in Malden says he has also seen success with medical marijuana as a substitution therapy.

“You are basically taking something that can be very harmful for an individual, and substituting with another chemical, just like you would any other drug, that has a wider safety margin,” he said. “So if the goal is to decrease the body count … the goal would be to get them on to a chemical that was safer.”

“What we are seeing is that, in follow-up visits, patients have decreased and even eliminated their opioids,” said Dr. Uma Dhanabalan of Uplifting Health and Wellness in Natick, adding marijuana works far better than other substitutes. “It’s a problem when we are replacing one synthetic opioid with another synthetic opioid because, guess what … synthetic opioids kill, cannabis does not.”

On a neurological level, medical marijuana works on what is known as the “endocannabinoid system” and binds to neurological receptors involved in appetite, pain sensation, mood and memory. Opioids work on a different, similar system — but less effectively, Witman said.

“Endocannabinoids are even more powerful and the therapeutic benefits are even better,” he said.

Other doctors say the process is not as simple as substituting cannabis for opioids. Dr. Anil Kumar of Advanced Pain Management Center in Stoneham is wary of the idea of giving medical marijuana to opioid addicts without extensive follow-ups.

“It might be an exit drug for some, or an entry drug for others,” he said. “If you don’t have a way of monitoring this patient who is saying ‘give me marijuana and I will stop taking narcotics,’ they may do both.”

Joanne Peterson — founder of Learn to Cope, a network of 20 support groups for addicts and their families — calls the idea of using medical marijuana as a safer substitute for opioids “total (expletive).”

“I am not a doctor, but coming from someone who is on the front lines with people we are burying every week, adding another drug into the mix is probably a bad idea,” she said. “They are already a zombie on the opiates, do they have to be a zombie on pot?”

The Massachusetts Department of Public Health has no official position on using medicinal marijuana as an alternative for opioids.

“DPH is committed to effectively administering the medical marijuana program in order to best serve patients safely and continues to work with the administration and stakeholders on developing strategies to curb the opioid epidemic in the commonwealth,” DPH spokesman Scott Zoback told the Herald, declining to comment further.

Patients who have had success with the treatment sing its praises.

Howard Bart, a patient at Dhanabalan’s clinic, knew very little about medicinal marijuana before his wife researched the topic online. He says it has been a life-changer for him:

After four back surgeries, he had been on various painkillers for more than 20 years — until he started taking cannabis this year. He has not had a pill in seven weeks.

“The marijuana saved my bacon from discomfort and pain every time,” he said. “My doctor told me it has something to do with receptors. All I know is, it works.”

Latest posts

Top Bottom