Poll: Should the NFA be Repealed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should The NFA Be Repealed?

• YES

Votes: 152 91.6%
  • NO

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • DON'T CARE

Votes: 6 3.6%

• Total voters

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wel, they have arrested jihadi's IN THIS COUNTRY that tried and failed to obtain full-auto AK's for nefarious purposes. THey wanted to shoot up malls, but only if they could go full-auto.

I guess learning how to hit what they aimed for would take too long??

I'd like to have a SBR just as much as the next guy, but I can't justify the repeal of the law. I'm sure this will be an unpopular view here, but it's just my opinion. I can get whatever I want, it's just a real PITA.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP - If you want a good quality and quantity of response to your poll, I suggest you post the major points of the NFA. Most of us are too lazy to look it up for ourselves.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, It should be repealed. And, the NFA act of 1934 as well. It should take no more to purchase any of the NFA items than it should any other Non-NFA item.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems that repealing the 1986 freeze on registering new full auto firearms should solve the most onerous problems (and huge expense) for those wanting to own full auto. I could see buying a new MP5 at normal retail for participating in full-auto shoots, but not the cost of buying a "grandfathered" specimen to comply with the 1986 freeze.

For those that don't know, a full auto must have been registered in civilian hands before the 1986 law took effect to be legal for US civilian ownership. This has caused the grandfathered guns to sell for many times their normal value.

Not sure what some collectors of "grandfathered" guns would think about their value dropping, however.............

I suspect the chance of outright repealing all the NFA is somewhere between "fat chance" and "none."

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems that repealing the 1986 freeze on registering new full auto firearms should solve the most onerous problems (and huge expense) for those wanting to own full auto. I could see buying a new MP5 at normal retail for participating in full-auto shoots, but not the cost of buying a "grandfathered" specimen to comply with the 1986 freeze.

For those that don't know, a full auto must have been registered in civilian hands before the 1986 law took effect to be legal for US civilian ownership. This has caused the grandfathered guns to sell for many times their normal value.

Not sure what some collectors of "grandfathered" guns would think about their value dropping, however.............

I suspect the chance of outright repealing all the NFA is somewhere between "fat chance" and "none."

Good points, but one thing to remember is that the 1986 ban was on domestically made machineguns. The Gun Control Act of 1968 had already banned imported machineguns that could be transfered to civilians. In order to own a true MP-5 (not a converted HK-94) we would have to repeal the GCA of 68 as well.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good points, but one thing to remember is that the 1986 ban was on domestically made machineguns. The Gun Control Act of 1968 had already banned imported machineguns that could be transfered to civilians. In order to own a true MP-5 (not a converted HK-94) we would have to repeal the GCA of 68 as well.

That would work with me. And while we're at it lets remove the F from BATFE.

:fullauto:

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I'd vote to get rid of that one too.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wel, they have arrested jihadi's IN THIS COUNTRY that tried and failed to obtain full-auto AK's for nefarious purposes. THey wanted to shoot up malls, but only if they could go full-auto.

I guess learning how to hit what they aimed for would take too long??

I'd like to have a SBR just as much as the next guy, but I can't justify the repeal of the law. I'm sure this will be an unpopular view here, but it's just my opinion. I can get whatever I want, it's just a real PITA.

The fact that criminals misuse an object does not give the government the right to remove or restrict my Constitutional right to own and use that item if I choose to do so.

"........the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The fact that criminals misuse an object does not give the government the right to remove or restrict my Constitutional right to own and use that item if I choose to do so.

"........the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

They've been doing it so far.

Before Kennedy was shot, guns could be purchased through the mail.

Reagan got shot and that lead to the Brady Ban.

Clinton got a Lewinski and we got the AWB.

Latest posts

Top Bottom