Poll: Should the NFA be Repealed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should The NFA Be Repealed?

• YES

Votes: 152 91.6%
  • NO

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • DON'T CARE

Votes: 6 3.6%

• Total voters

1shot(bob)

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wel, they have arrested jihadi's IN THIS COUNTRY that tried and failed to obtain full-auto AK's for nefarious purposes. THey wanted to shoot up malls, but only if they could go full-auto.

I guess learning how to hit what they aimed for would take too long??

I'd like to have a SBR just as much as the next guy, but I can't justify the repeal of the law. I'm sure this will be an unpopular view here, but it's just my opinion. I can get whatever I want, it's just a real PITA.

Do you have links to support this claim?
Making something illegal has never stopped people with ill intentions from getting it.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wel, they have arrested jihadi's IN THIS COUNTRY that tried and failed to obtain full-auto AK's for nefarious purposes. THey wanted to shoot up malls, but only if they could go full-auto.

I guess learning how to hit what they aimed for would take too long??

I'd like to have a SBR just as much as the next guy, but I can't justify the repeal of the law. I'm sure this will be an unpopular view here, but it's just my opinion. I can get whatever I want, it's just a real PITA

There are all kinds of guns bought for "nefarious" puposes everyday. I guess using your logic we should ban them all. I know several gang shootings recently envolved semi-auto AK's. Are you willing to give up YOUR AK-74 because these types of guns were used "for nefarious purposes"?

If you want an SBR, then go ahead and get one. It is not a "real PITA", just a couple of simple forms and a 3-4 month wait. The only "PITA" is the $200 tax. The true PITA is that due to NFA 34, GCA 68 and FOPA 86, I cannot get "get whatever I want". There is no way that I can get any newly made US or foreign machinegun.

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP - If you want a good quality and quantity of response to your poll, I suggest you post the major points of the NFA. Most of us are too lazy to look it up for ourselves.

LOL! Sorry friend, but I'm not responsible for anyone's laziness...
:doh: That's on the same level as: "If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.":thumb:
For clarification: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act
The National Firearms Act ("NFA"), 73rd Congress, Sess. 2, ch. 757, 48 Stat. 1236, enacted on 26 June 1934, currently codified as amended as 26 U.S.C. ch. 53, is an Act of Congress that, in general, imposes a statutory excise tax on the manufacture and transfer of certain firearms and mandates the registration of those firearms. The Act was passed shortly after the repeal of Prohibition. The NFA is also referred to as Title II of the Federal firearms laws. The Gun Control Act of 1968 ("GCA") is Title I.

In my view, if NFA had never come about there would not be a GCA or AWB. I bolded a key line above to think about.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It should be repealed. That won't happen legislatively though, and it's not likely that the Heller or MacDonald rulings will help dispose of it thru the courts.

There are some steps that could be worked on.

Dump the '86 ban.
Dump the '89 import ban
Remove SBR's and SBS's from the NFA. Leave the AOW's and destructive devices as they are.
Remove supressors from the NFA. If it's the only way, make them a regular FFL item.

There are a few other little things, mostly cleaning up details, but these would be a good start.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no problem with the requirements for NFA items. Only change I would like to see would be the change to allow machine guns registered after 86 to be sold to individuals.

Require the same process. Which I think is enough for most people to shy away from.

My vote goes to I Dont Care. I'll care in another 20 years when the kids are out of the house and I have a bit of money to buy a new hungry toy.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no problem with the requirements for NFA items. Only change I would like to see would be the change to allow machine guns registered after 86 to be sold to individuals.

Require the same process. Which I think is enough for most people to shy away from.

My vote goes to I Dont Care. I'll care in another 20 years when the kids are out of the house and I have a bit of money to buy a new hungry toy.

You don't care now, but you will care in another 20 years? 20 years ago you could buy an M16 for $1000, today they are $10,000+. What do you think they will be 20 years from now when you do care?

Latest posts

Top Bottom