Post up this years predators.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it looks like the .17HMR is not as inefective as some of the internet keyboard commando's say.

I will have to admit I was skeptical of an animal as big as a dog could be ethically killed that that tiny bullet, but guess I'll have to eat crow on this one.
Anybody have a good crow recipe:anyone:

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, it looks like the .17HMR is not as inefective as some of the internet keyboard commando's say.

I will have to admit I was skeptical of an animal as big as a dog could be ethically killed that that tiny bullet

I am with you on this one Dennis, i am not ready to give up my center fires. The dog my boy took was on as sturdy a rest as you could ever ask for and he shoots it very well. Honestly, I would have given him the go ahead with just about any rifle he wanted on a coyote that close to the house.

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I will have to admit I was skeptical of an animal as big as a dog could be ethically killed that that tiny bullet, but guess I'll have to eat crow on this one.
Ill use the 17hmr a few more times before ill be a 100 % believer.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my biggest yote ever, i was pretty pumped. i got him this last saturday morning, using a foxproFX3/baby rabbit. i made a cheap decoy and he got within 20yrds of the call. he was in and down in under 10mins of setup! got him up to the house and stepped on the scales without him and then with him...40lbs male yote

i1222.photobucket.com_albums_dd500_TKC78_yote40.jpg

and i thought i posted this up.....but this was my first cat to ever take, got him opening day DEC 1. i seen a yote running around out in the field behind my house while working on my new wood shed. so i grabbed the gun and my hand calls and snuck in. starting calling and the yote stayed about 300yds out. then something moved out of the corner of my eye, i moved over to take a look see and wasted no time, drop the kitty kitty at about 150yrds. it weighed about 15-20lbs+/-, bad thing is that my shot hit the entire front shoulder (cat sitting and looking at me) and blew a big hole in the fur....so i am going to try my first full body mount with him laying on his side to hide the hole...

i1222.photobucket.com_albums_dd500_TKC78_bob1.jpg

i1222.photobucket.com_albums_dd500_TKC78_bob3.jpg

no .17 here just my .223, BUT i have a friend that drops yotes with his .17HMR. they pack a good punch!

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am with you on this one Dennis, i am not ready to give up my center fires. The dog my boy took was on as sturdy a rest as you could ever ask for and he shoots it very well. Honestly, I would have given him the go ahead with just about any rifle he wanted on a coyote that close to the house.

.17HMR taking out dogs left and right here it seems. I don't know that I'd necessarily consider 130yds close(for a .17 caliber bullet), but its certainly not far. What weight of bullets are you guys running in your .17's? What kind of BC's are you getting? Seems to me even a slight wind would make a bullet that light drift a good bit at distance.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Guess I'm one of the guys that don't want to shoot a coyote with a 17. I've shot possums with mine and then did the biopsy thing..Not near enough damage for me. The one thing I've noticed is the lack of knock down (for lack of a better word) power for me..But considering it weighs 17 grains it really shouldn't have much wallop..Just my opinion..

Latest posts

Top Bottom