Powder Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many people like the H4350 in 300 WSM
You can just google that and see results.
I googled Hodgdon reloading and punched in a few powders mentioned and not
many head to head comparisons but different bullets with same weight there is not more than 100 FPS difference in powders vs the H4350. And most are only 40 fps or so.

I suppose you can research it and see for yourself.
But if you have other guns in the stable that use H4350 I would not like to be without it.

I have no idea what your goal is with this rifle but if it was mine I would probably pick a 155 to 168 gr bullet and play with it.

85 fps more with Big Game vs H 4350 with 155 gr bullet different bullets though.
1676759983126.png

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
many head to head comparisons but different bullets with same weight there is not more than 100 FPS difference in powders vs the H4350. And most are only 40 fps or so.

But if you have other guns in the stable that use H4350 I would not like to be without it.

I have no idea what your goal is with this rifle but if it was mine I would probably pick a 155 to 168 gr bullet and play with it.

85 fps more with Big Game vs H 4350 with 155 gr bullet different bullets though.
It's my long range toy nothing more.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Between those 2 I would choose H4350.
But i would get at least 8 bottles so you have a chance of getting all the same lot number.

I had 3 different lot numbers of varget and they all shot different in .308 and 30-06.
One thing I noticed in my .223, .243. .308 and 30-06 with varget is when I had a great load for 17° temps if the temp went to 55° the groups opened up. then get to 75° they opened up again so for me I really grew a dislike for varget.
It does work great if you have loads for the same temps.

They say it is temp stable but that revolves around velocity change. How about group size?
I switched all those to IMR 4064, H4895 and H 4350 and my group sizes do not change.

I had nearly 30 lbs of varget at one time because it was hyped up so much.
Down to a tick over 8 lbs now.

Maybe I have bad luck with it.. Maybe the newer stuff is better but too fast for that WSM in my opinion.
I get more velocity in my .308 with IMR 4064 than Varget.
I would trade my 8 lbs of Varget in a heart beat for 4064.
My opinion only.
Never tried varget, my 308 loves IMR 4064

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 350244
I’ve got a pound of Big Game that I haven’t opened yet. Supposedly it runs good in the 22-250 and I guess that’s why I bought it. I’ve always run H4895 in my 22-250 but the turn on about BigGame is it’s a spherical powder which will meter better if I use it on the progressive press instead of using a scale. That’s my thinking anyhow. @Gadsden I know powders are definitely getting easier to find so probably no point in offering but if you want to try BigGame and can’t find any then the pound I have would probably be in loose hands. It’s not like I gotta have it and if it’d help you or whatever. Of course it looks like we live on opposite sides of Tulsa. Anyhow just tossing it out there. I know I started using another spherical Ramshot powder in my creedmoor and got good results with velocities close to what h4350 were offering and very acceptable ES and SD. I’m usually the guy who won’t follow the pack cuz when the pack runs out of supplies they are lost because they never tried something different.

Latest posts

Top Bottom