Precision long range AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally jumped over to AR15's in 223/556. Previously my M1 Garand served the battle rifle role. That base is covered now. The AR15/10 platform is growing on me big time and I cant get the thought of a precision/ long range AR out of my head. I have a long range bolt gun and want a semi-automatic long range rifle.

I was thinking AR10 in .260 remington or 6.5 creedmore. I read the + and - arguments I could find for each. I reload and already have 6.5 bullets and appropriate powders on hand. I saw DMPS makes affordable AR10's in 260 and 65CM.

Anyone have one of these or another manufacturer and would like the share pic's and some thoughts?
Or, is there another cartridge you'd recommend instead?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 6.8 and 6.5 guys are always going back and forth. I have a 6.8 SPC II. My buddy has a 6.5 Grendel and he swears by it, he shoots very long ranges. Last I heard he was at the 1000-yard mark, maybe longer. I haven't shot mine yet, and even if I do, I'm no marksman to be able to really utilize it to the best of its ability. lol

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool! If I understand correctly the Grendel and SPC are AR15 platform whereas 260rem and 65CM are AR10?
Havn't thought about the Grendel much although I do have some ammo for it i think.
Anyone willing to let me shoot their Grendel if I supply the ammo?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would I just need a Grendel or SPC upper and mags? That would certainly be less expensive then going to AR10

Pretty sure this is correct. Make sure you get a bolt matched to your barrel. From what I was reading when I was wanting one they don't just slap together like a 5.56/.223 gun. Other than the barrel, bolt and mags it's all the same is what I understand. Also if you are going for "reachout range" don't skimp on barrel length. I saw numbers from a 24" that would just freak the .308 crowd right out. Check out the 6.5 forums there's a ton of info there.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Cool! If I understand correctly the Grendel and SPC are AR15 platform whereas 260rem and 65CM are AR10?
Havn't thought about the Grendel much although I do have some ammo for it i think.
Hey Mike
Go ar308 platform, 6.8 is not comparable to any of the bigger 6.5 platforms. I have a killer 260rem custom, I had built up. If your budget is 2-3k ish holler at me. I've had it for almost 2 years and never put a round thru it. It's ridiculous. Oh, and veggies are doing good.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I have a Grendel that you can shoot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom