Precision long range AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Without going super exotic in some way, the Grendel is pretty well done about 800-900 yards. The Creedmoor will reach out past 1200. There is no comparison ballistic wise. If you really want to shoot long range, you have to go AR10 platform and either 260, 6.5 Creedmoor or 243. You could go 243WSSM in the AR15 platform and handload with high BC bullets but that expensive and fairly exotic compared to getting a 6.5 Creedmoor AR10 and shooting store bought ammo for nearly the same result.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Mike
Go ar308 platform, 6.8 is not comparable to any of the bigger 6.5 platforms. I have a killer 260rem custom, I had built up. If your budget is 2-3k ish holler at me. I've had it for almost 2 years and never put a round thru it. It's ridiculous. Oh, and veggies are doing good.

It took me a while to figure out who you were haha. You changed your screen name. Anyways, 2-3k is the target but I am a long ways from having the scratch. Gotta get me a real job ya know. The wife is already halfway across the state at her new job.

About that 260. You were talking about taking a 260 out and shooting it when we brought you those veggies. You should, i'll bring my 6.5x55 and we can have a little long range shoot off :rubhands: just an idea and there is no rush.

Glad to know your around here

Last edited:

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Without going super exotic in some way, the Grendel is pretty well done about 800-900 yards. The Creedmoor will reach out past 1200. There is no comparison ballistic wise. If you really want to shoot long range, you have to go AR10 platform and either 260, 6.5 Creedmoor or 243. You could go 243WSSM in the AR15 platform and handload with high BC bullets but that expensive and fairly exotic compared to getting a 6.5 Creedmoor AR10 and shooting store bought ammo for nearly the same result.

Yeah, Im thinking the same thing, 260 or 65CM. Im not sure exactly what bullet weight the 243wssm can stabilize but i dont think it as quite as heavy as the 260 or 65CM 140gn's. This means more wind drift, which at long ranges may be a pain.

Last edited:

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My latest is a wildcat round on an AR-15 platform. It is called the 6mm DTI. It is built on 6.8 SPC brass necked down to 6mm. It is pumping a 75gr V-Max out at around 3,140 fps. I've had it for less than a month, so haven't pushed its limits yet, but I can tell you it is a joy to shoot.

I mainly built this for a varmint gun that can cross over for deer and antelope. Sighted in 2" high at 100 yds, it is only 3" low at 300 yds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom