prepper arguements

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I enjoyed it as a fiction novel. But I'm not going to base any plans or preparations off of it really.

EMP is a scary thing, but the science is not absolute...there is much evidence to suggest that the damage wouldn't be anything close to that described in popular novels (mostly promoted by people who want to sell you something, or friends of people who want to sell something), not to mention that the mechanics behind making an air burst nuke happen is not a cake walk either.

akgriffin

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Walrus, my son grew up around with family with very far left liberal views. My wife was the same way, till she come to mcalester, she's blossomed to a good rednecked wife in the last 20 yrs. He's changed alot, but his views that the government is better at taking care of people still leaves alot to be desired.

WideLoadTimmy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wanna learn some of these tools if for nothing else than to be more self sufficient. I would like to rely on myself more and have stuff set aside for me for my own personal disasters that keep happening (lost job, hurt at work, wrecked car, sick).

berserk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I find odd is how "everyday" prepping is still looked at as weird. By "everyday" I mean carrying a knife on my person, having actual tools in my car, a nice floor jack, a working flashlight, etc.... I cant tell you how many times i have had to use my tools or jack to help someone who only had a factory jack and a half there stocking stuffer tool kit. Makes my head hurt when I ask them why the dont have these things themselves and all the can say is "I dont know"

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I don't talk about prepping with anyone unless they broach the subject, and even then, I hold my cards pretty close. I have a buddy who talks (brags) about his prepping with everyone he encounters, and in my opinion, this is just stupid.

To the OP, your son may be "smart", but it sounds like he may be an idiot at the same time. I have a son just like him and have found that it does no good to argue with idiots.

Keep on keeping on...

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe his concept of prepping is the tin foil hat kind of prepping. Some of the stuff you see about prepping in the media is pretty far out there. Point him to the flu pandemic of 1918 and ask him if he truly believes something like that is not likely to happen again. In my mind a Contagion type of scenario is pretty much guaranteed at some point in our future. Too many people on the planet with convenient movement from place to place.

CastleB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At what point does one decide or become clasified as a "Prepper" vs "Survivor"?
Most of our Parents, Granparents, Great Grandparents, ETC ..... could have been labeled as either one of these titles. Most folks that experienced the Great Depression or heard first hand stories of the time ,store/prep to some degree.
Any person that canned food or stored food did so from either a personal experience or advice of our elders that have "BEEN THERE DONE THAT"!

Chris Lang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Younger adults have never been without the net, or cell phones. I think we are actually getting dumber generation by generation. Skills other than texting and posting videos are pretty much in decline. Just because the s**t hasn't hit the fan yet, doesnt mean it's not going to in the future. Saying everything is OK and always will be is not realistic. Rant over.

Oh, contraire mon frere!

No rant at all, but the simple truth.

+1

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably late on this, but contingency planning is something with which the young Intel troop should be familiar. "Prepping" is becoming another semi-sinister liberal buzzword, like "survivalist" did.

OTOH, you could explain it as "Insurance you can eat." If yer house goes TU, it will take a few days for the agent to get you squared away. Besides, what would we all have to raise hell about if the .gov DID go away?

Latest posts

Top Bottom