Prepper engineering: card #2 - The Bridge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Atv zip line...string a cable across the creek about a foot above atv height (I have old lightweight Honda three wheelers) between two solid trees two pulleys or snatch blocks and pull it across. Have a small trailer? Same thing. Injured person use a sling or something take them across.

At the farm all this hardware is laying around (100' roll of 3/8 cable, clamps, pulleys and snatch blocks, comealongs, rope ect) for use in farm projects. And my atv is not some 1000cc monster mudder. A Honda 185 three wheeler, weighs in at about 275 lbs

That or cut fence to navigate around debris or find path with little chain saw work.

Sent via message in a bottle

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're saying that the notion of this exercise is that it is faster to design and build a bridge sturdy enough to carry an ATV, a small trailer and 2 people across a 6 foot deep, 12 foot wide ditch than it is to cut a vehicle wide swath through the trees blocking the road? And either way, you're trying to do this to rush someone to medical care, yes?

This is just a thought exercise and any answer that solves the problem is a correct one. In an emergancy, sometimes you have to make quick decisions, and just execute on it. They may not be the most right or the safest but in a pinch, they will do. When I write these scenarios, I try to write it in such a way as to not tilt the answers toward what I'm thinking of as a solution. Really this is to have some fun thinking creatively. I love the SHTF scenarios because you don't have the time or resources to consider all possible angles, you have to just figure something out. And folks bring out some pretty cool stuff! With answers ranging from fill the creek with debris and ride across it (can't beat KISS) to a zip line (awesome!) this is good stuff.

EDIT: realized I never answered your question directly. Yes, the notion is that there are large number of large trees blocking your only road in and out of the property and you have no other easy method of contacting the outside world. Imagine a long gravel road covered with 1/2 a mile of trees/debris and a small blacktop highway about a mile away the other direction from where the tornado crossed your property.

Latest posts

Top Bottom