Probably Been Asked Before, but...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've killed all my deer since it was legal to use here in Oklahoma with the 223 with the exception of 1 doe. I started out using brown bear steel cased 62gr sp, when I couldn't get those anymore I went looking for an acceptable replacement. A local guy I knew was killing deer with 55gr vmax without issues & so have I.

Here's my caveat - it's obviously not ideal for deer you already know that & people flame me for using those however I've never lost or had to track a deer yet. I take high shoulder shots typically or right behind the shoulder when I miss. I have put them in the lungs with great results.

I'm a coyote hunter who deer hunts not the other way around. I get lot's of practice, that helps. I also don't & won't take a shot over 150 yards on deer with these & most are 50 yardsish

I hear the Hornady 55gr sp is a fantastic , obviously the 60+ grain loads would be better but my son in law has switched to using the 223 now and uses Winchester 55gr sp without fail and has killed a few nice big bucks including a big heavy 13 point & it to was a bang flop.

Lastly the nosler ballistic tip is better than the VMAX for deer but I can't find them in loaded ammo in stock. I'll stick with the vmax until I find a reason to change . Here's last year's buck, 60 yards 223 55gr VMAX drt 1 shot
High shoulder is money with just about any caliber, cartridge, bullet shape, weight or design.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sold all my 55gr SP hornady bullets.
Not the awesome killer that the 55 V-Max is.
Dozens of deer have died by my hands and my buddies with the 55 V-max.
Not store ammo this is handloaded and way more accurate than any bullet I have shot.

98% drop where they stand and do not get back up.
2800 fps from 16"AR and 3180 from 22" barrel Bolt gun.
H4895

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If a 55 grain worked as the OP described, why use anything else? I can assure anyone that a deer isn't going to know the difference between 7 grains of bullet weight.
What will make the difference is the performance of the bullet when it enters the animal.
If the OP has that success with the 55 grain hornady sp, why change?
I've killed well over a dozen with a Sierra SP in 55 grain .223 and never had one go over 40 yards.
Norma 55 grain varmint from the .243WSSM, but in that case, it's almost 800 feet per second faster. It really hits hard.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If a 55 grain worked as the OP described, why use anything else? I can assure anyone that a deer isn't going to know the difference between 7 grains of bullet weight.
What will make the difference is the performance of the bullet when it enters the animal.
If the OP has that success with the 55 grain hornady sp, why change?
I've killed well over a dozen with a Sierra SP in 55 grain .223 and never had one go over 40 yards.
Norma 55 grain varmint from the .243WSSM, but in that case, it's almost 800 feet per second faster. It really hits hard.
As I stated "to make me feel better".

Also, the other place I hunt has hogs on it from time to time, I reckon a heavier, tougher bullet might be more appropriate for that.

Rob357Sig

Marksman
Reaction score
I killed a deer with my Mini-14 Sunday. First time I've deer hunted with it, and I decided I like it a lot.

I was shooting a 55 gr SP from Hornady, nothing special.

Thinking about developing a load for a heavier bullet, just to make me feel better.

What do y'all recommend/use?
1-9 Twist I’d recommend you move to Nosler Partition. I've run them in .223, 25-06 and .260 for years. New to reloading... .223 while not as good as a straight walled cartridge or .30-30 to learn on, it is really a joy to work with.

Get you some good dies and a Lee Challenger press to start on. There are so many ways you can go on the reloading journey, read read read. Every damn thing you can get your hands on. I'm talking books not forums. Forums are great for completing the critical thinking loop and gaining understanding. Don't cook with another shooter’s recipes. Your ingredients, utensils, knowledge and understanding are not theirs.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree if the 55gr worked why change.

Now I tried heavier bullets and the accuracy was not there and much more drop at 300 yards than the 55.
55 V max right through the hard shoulder area on a 250+ lb hog.
400+ lb died to 1 shot from the 55 gr v max also both 1 shot kills from the 223 savage axis and they did not take another step.

The Hornady 55 SP is a tougher bullet than the V max.
That is why I quit using it.
Deer ran off after being heart shot with it. That is fine if you can find them.
That V-max explodes when it gets in and the innards turn to jello.

But like fishing use the lure you have confidence in.
If you like the big bass lure vs the tiny rooster tail then try it out.

I like my tiny rooster tail personally.
Used a 110 gr for the first time in 30-06 this year and may never use a 150 or heavier again.
Loved it.
I used to be in the bigger heavier crowd and long barrel crowd.

Rob357Sig

Marksman
Reaction score
I agree if the 55gr worked why change.

Now I tried heavier bullets and the accuracy was not there and much more drop at 300 yards than the 55.
55 V max right through the hard shoulder area on a 250+ lb hog.
400+ lb died to 1 shot from the 55 gr v max also both 1 shot kills from the 223 savage axis and they did not take another step.

The Hornady 55 SP is a tougher bullet than the V max.
That is why I quit using it.
Deer ran off after being heart shot with it. That is fine if you can find them.
That V-max explodes when it gets in and the innards turn to jello.

But like fishing use the lure you have confidence in.
If you like the big bass lure vs the tiny rooster tail then try it out.

I like my tiny rooster tail personally.
Used a 110 gr for the first time in 30-06 this year and may never use a 150 or heavier again.
Loved it.
I used to be in the bigger heavier crowd and long barrel crowd.
Agreed nothing wrong with that 55gr SP from hornady. It doesn't shed it's jacket as fast as a VMAX at screamer velocity everyone wants to run.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll be honest and say I’m a little surprised you hit a deer with a Mini 14, because every one I’ve had has only shot minute of barn. :anyone:
Same experience I had with the mini that I briefly owned.

I hung glass on it, got it on paper at 25 yds. then I moved out to 85 yds. with three different brands of ammo shooting on bags and it shot patterns not groups with all three......it quickly got sent down the road.

Latest posts

Top Bottom