Propane generator conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses...I've driven an old truck that was duel fuel once and it seemed gutless on propane, am I gonna lose some of my generating capacity with this conversion?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to install and work on trucks that had dual fuel. In a carbureted application, if you don't ever run gasoline through it occasionally then rubber parts can dry up/crack/deteriorate, of course, that depends on the type of carb as well. On efi applications it's not really an issue, most efi kits are dedicated due to the cost of a dual fuel efi kit.

Good info, Thanks.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses...I've driven an old truck that was duel fuel once and it seemed gutless on propane, am I gonna lose some of my generating capacity with this conversion?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

This is what I'm wondering too, looking at the factory propane LP5500, it's 4.7 or 7 hours runtime @ 50% with 20 or 30lb. bottles respectively. The GP5500 is 10 hours @ 50%.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Watching this thread, as I was talking to my wife about converting our Generac to propane a few months ago. I figured a 100lb tank would be more than enough to last through an ice storm situation.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I lost the gas tank to my HF generator a few years ago due to ethanol..this looks like a good way to get it back into action.

Buy pure gas for your power equipment, add some stabilizer if you plan to keep your Generator ready for action..probably better to keep the fuel stored in a plastic gas can.. the fuel valve rusted out of the bottom of my fuel tank due to long-term storage with eth gas..

Latest posts

Top Bottom