Generator Propane Line Freezing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With regards to freezing of the lines, we used to deal with that when we lived in a house up in the Panhandle that was getting natural gas practically straight from the pipeline. In cold weather, moisture inside would freeze up the regulator, and the solution was to go up to the regulator location (underground) and put some alcohol into the line to the regulator. It involved shutting off one valve from the pipeline and opening another so that I could pour the alcohol into the line.

Worked every time.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now you guys have me thinking I need to do something to prevent this. Seems diesel engines have water separators…..wonder if there’s a filter of sorts I could hook in there?

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now you guys have me thinking I need to do something to prevent this. Seems diesel engines have water separators…..wonder if there’s a filter of sorts I could hook in there?

If the line is freezing up because of moisture, then even the filter could freeze up unless it was heated or insulated in some way.

Depending on where the guy is in Texas, if it gets pretty humid, then moisture freezing would seem to be a very possible problem.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m probably trying to fix something that ain’t broke. I may call my propane guy just to check in and see what he says.

Your Propane Guy is going to tell you to keep your Regulator Vent Screen clean, NEVER alcohol in or near propane. You can take good Window Screen material and wrap your Regulator and vent, dirt Dobbs rd and insects will clog them over time.. And Propane tanks need to be leveled. Make sure yours is level. And lastly, Propane Regulators should be kept under a lid and they are a wear item.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Mr.Glock appreciate the check list and I have most of it covered. Had a concrete pad poured for the 250 gallon tank before it was installed so it is good and level and regulator is under the cover. I’ll check the regulator vent screen. Didn’t know there was such a thing to check and put screening over what isn’t already protected. One of those darn Dirt Dobbers did happen to make a nest on my regulator a couple of years ago 😡

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I travel for work and pull my camper. I have worked in North Dakoda. I have two 100lbs tanks. In -10 and -20 i have never had propane freeze. now the colder it is the PSI will go down, the hotter it is the PSI will go up. its like anything that just sets. If you dont use it things go wrong what you need it. like water in the tanks and lines.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Mr.Glock appreciate the check list and I have most of it covered. Had a concrete pad poured for the 250 gallon tank before it was installed so it is good and level and regulator is under the cover. I’ll check the regulator vent screen. Didn’t know there was such a thing to check and put screening over what isn’t already protected. One of those darn Dirt Dobbers did happen to make a nest on my regulator a couple of years ago 😡

The vent screen may be at the "bottom" of the regulator.

Latest posts

Top Bottom