Public Service Announcement: DO NOT travel internationally without THOROUGHLY searching your property first!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife sent me this article yesterday and said "This could have been us." And she is right.

A few years back we went to Vegas for our anniversary. Went through TSA in OKC without any issue. Did our extended weekend in Vegas and went to the airport to head home. She flew through security no problem. I, in the other hand, got pulled off to the side for a bag search. I wasn't worried because just about every time I fly I get searched at least once.

They open my carry on bag and start rifling through everything. Everything was turning up negative and then they pulled out a pair of cargo shorts and started going through all of the pockets like they were crack heads and I had the last rock on earth in my pockets. Lo and behold, he comes up with a lone (live) 10mm round. I was confused and befuddled to say the least.

Then it hit me. A couple of weeks before our trip I had gone to the range. I had a box of the cheapest 10mm anno I could find and had been shooting it. Well, about every 3rd round would just do nothing. After trying to fire it and it not going off, I would eject the round and throw it in my cargo pocket of my shorts. Apparently I did not get all of the rounds out of my pocket when I got home.

That round went through at least 2 different trips in the washer and dryer. It was the cleanest ammo I've ever seen.

Luckily the TSA agent in Vegas was mostly cool and only gave me a stern look and warning about how badly that COULD have gone for me and then let me move on along.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend bought his daughter a collapsible baton for self defense when she was at OU. Years later she went to the airport in NYC and that baton was in a carry on bag and got her arrested and charged with a felony. She had forgotten that she even had it and didn't know it was in her bag. TSA could have confiscated it with a warning, but instead she got made an example of. After being jailed, bail, and expensive attorney fees she was given 1 year probation with record to be expunged if she had no other legal issues.

Back around 2016 or 2017, the wife was flying back to Oklahoma from Oregon so she could serve as a "home nurse" for our son that just had surgery. (He's not married, thus, no in home nurse of his own.) At the airport in Medford, I was getting concerned because they kept going through the wife's purse multiple times, even dumping everything out on the counter. Finally, they found her small (2 inch) pocket knife, and the TSA agent walked over and handed it to me. (Small airport.) She seldom ever had an occasion to use the knife, so it never went back into her purse.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An acquaintance’s wife flew from Springfield MO to Portland Maine to visit one of their kids, and she discovered after she left the airport in Portland that she had a loaded S&W revolver in her purse. She immediately called her husband to find out what to do, and they ended up shipping it back to a FFL in Springfield.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was in Grand Cayman in February; guy we talked to said they had guns and gun crime there, but he said it was very hard to get guns (legally), and there was like a 100% tax on firearms, and 200% tax on ammo, if I remember right. Told my wife that seemed stupid, at least the ammo part; if I was bent on killing someone, another $40 or $50 wouldn't change my mind.

I also keep dedicated bags for travel. American arrogance (and in this case possibly ignorance) is what gets us in trouble elsewhere. We think no one's rules apply to us, Americans being "exceptional" and all. Too bad the rest of the world doesn't feel that way.
Those taxes are designed to keep the modest income peeps dis-armed, they bucks up brothers well armed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom