Pujols watch.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerStatePawn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pujols is a stud and I hope he stays with the Cards. I like seeing players stay loyal to the same team throughout their career, it just doesn't happen much anymore. For most players it's just about a paycheck anymore. If he leaves St.Louis I bet he would end up a Marlin or Angel.

SlammerG_89

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Marlins are off the table now. I am almost 100 percent sure he will stay in St. Louis. He has stated numerous times he doesn't want to leave the area and his wife feels the same way. St. Louis is baseball city USA, there is no better place to play.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Cardinals were a bit less money and 1 less year, but actually ended up more per year than the Marlins. If he gets injured or otherwise cannot play out to the end of the contract, then the St Louis deal may end up better in the end despite being less overall.

It's an interesting proposition really. And of course I hope he stays in St Louis. A fresh ring doesn't hurt either :)

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/marlins-appear-out-of-pujols-talks/article_97b6cfc4-5929-567f-a966-252813b47c65.html

".....The Cardinals are believed to have offered Pujols a deal potentially worth $220 for up to 10 years. The offer's foundation is a nine-year guarantee that could include an option for a 10th season or a personal services contract extending beyond his playing career."

Looks like all this Marlin talk has shaken another year and $20 million out of the Cards. Looks like he is gonna stay at this moment.

Joeh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love Pujols, dude is an absolute beast. I hope he stays in St. Louis, BUT as an armchair GM, I wouldn't give ANYONE a 10 year contract. I would have paid more for a shorter contract, JMO. He may prove me wrong and I would love to see that, but I'm not sure I'd want to hedge the next 10 years of my club on a 32-42 year old hitter.

Unless of course the owners decide to make a separate payroll for Pujols, then give him whatever he wants :P

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
C'mon guys you gotta understand the business side of baseball. 10 years and 220 doesn't mean he's getting 22 mil a year. Some of that will be incentive money for certain milestones (stats, playoffs, WS, etc). Also you pay more on the front end of a contract for an aging player, and less on the back end.

It happens all the time. Pujols is the best hitter in baseball, period. Not to mention he's one heck of a good guy (based on some things I've read and radio pieces I've heard about his life off the field.) You invest 200+ mil in 8 quality years of good hitting and then eat the remaining two years or deal him to an AL team looking for a DH in a playoff push.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
10 years with the Angels for upwards of 250 million, I will miss him in STL but I'm awfully glad we didn't give him that contract. That's a real bummer, Albert had a chance to be one of those STL greats, like Stan. I wish him well, but it's a shame to see him go.

Joeh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh I thoroughly understand the way baseball contracts work. Still wouldn't do it. Contract to WAR value, regardless of where you compare it, isn't going to be good on a 10 year contract. Even with Pujols insane WAR/+wRC.

10 years just isn't for me. Even if I knew I could move him to another team late (which I wouldn't even consider an option. If he's due <10mil a year at that point, which he will be, nobodies going to want to eat that contract).

I'd give him 6/140, with a team controlled option....maybe. But no way I'd touch a 10 year contract. Not even for Pujols.

Joeh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ouch , 10/250?!

Not that I'm looking forward to having the M's pitchers face him, but IMO, a weird fit for LAA.

Also reportedly a full no-trade clause. So much for flipping him in later years.

At least LAA is a big payroll team so it won't hurt them as bad as another if his contract goes bad towards to the end.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I could have seen a heavy incentive driven 10 year 200-220 max, but good grief 250 is absolutely off the charts. And to the Angels no less. Now I got to root against the guy.

I will enjoy the talking heads discussing why even with Pujols the Rangers win the AL west. dealwithit.gif

Latest posts

Top Bottom