Pujols watch.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I could have seen a heavy incentive driven 10 year 200-220 max, but good grief 250 is absolutely off the charts. And to the Angels no less. Now I got to root against the guy.

I will enjoy the talking heads discussing why even with Pujols the Rangers win the AL west. View attachment 18431

Statistically, easy answer. Pujols provides less of an upgrade for a larger contract with the Angels, than they could have gotten improving problem positions for them. They need another 6-8 WAR* or so out of their roster to provide the theoretical jump required to pass the rangers through simulations. They'll still be in need of 3-5 more WAR depending on how Albert produces, provided the Rangers don't go batshit on themselves and screw everything up.

My boys will watch from the basement again :(

*rough estimate from what I remember, I'd have to check for actual numbers.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
back in the day.... lot's of players stayed over 20 in MLB, some over 30 -as Minor leauge stays tended to be longer for developing players. I know today's baseball players are more atheletic (IE: bigger and faster) than they were in the past... but baseball is simply less stressful and traumatic on bodies than the, NFL< for example

Alberts paycheck ( just like Ryne Sanbergs $28 million Cubs contract back in the 80's) are not a reflection of talent (although both are Hall of Fame worthy) but relfect the potential to sell seats and marketing revenues. Getting 10% of the money a team makes on LOGO sales when your ugly mug sells the stuff cause you can hit a ton is a bargain if you ask me.

Bigjoe.45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He is a BEAST...but there is not a human alive worth a 1/4 Billion bucks to hit a white ball! I would have said yes too, but at some point this will have to end.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He is a BEAST...but there is not a human alive worth a 1/4 Billion bucks to hit a white ball! I would have said yes too, but at some point this will have to end.

Depends on what kind of revenue said beast generates. Say the Angels rip off a run of WS wins, they make over $1B due to their new found success. Wouldn't quadrupling your money be worth it?

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know the Cardinals offer was 30 mil less over the 10 years. I have always wondered if athletes take into consideration a state income tax on where they decide to go. I don't know if Missouri has an income tax or not but I know Florida doesn't and California has a 10.3% income tax. That 30 million extra has 25 million in taxes taken out of it thus making the offers between Miami and LA nearly identical.

You would think that an athlete would take that under consideration when negotiating a contract. Really he is only getting 5 million more over 10 years to go to LA over Miami.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LA was chosen over Miami because they offered the no trade clause that Florida would not and because they are contenders. Leaving St. Louis for Cali is still confusing to me, it seems he must have really just wanted the money. But in the grand scheme of things it's not even that much more money, especially if you consider the cost of living in Missouri vs California.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Angels got him and CJ Wilson and rumors are they are going after Prince Fielder. We will see but it looks like the Angels are trying to become the Yankees of the West.

Latest posts

Top Bottom