Toxins in our fish?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was reading on the OK department of environmental quality website about mercury levels in our fish. Had me curious what y’all on here think about it. Do y’all concern yourselves with it? Or is it just tree hugger lefty nonsense? Haha!

Quite a few of our lakes have advisories in place for certain fish species, especially for sensitive populations (children and women who could become pregnant). It seems predatory fish like bass, striped bass, saugeye, hybrids, etc have the most pollutants

I try to be mindful of these things and I do not feed my young kids tons and tons fish. We have several fish fries every year but I try to make sure the kids get “cleaner” fish like crappie or small channel cats. I’m not overly paranoid about toxins in our fish, but I’m aware of it the back of my mind…

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was reading on the OK department of environmental quality website about mercury levels in our fish. Had me curious what y’all on here think about it. Do y’all concern yourselves with it? Or is it just tree hugger lefty nonsense? Haha!

Quite a few of our lakes have advisories in place for certain fish species, especially for sensitive populations (children and women who could become pregnant). It seems predatory fish like bass, striped bass, saugeye, hybrids, etc have the most pollutants

I try to be mindful of these things and I do not feed my young kids tons and tons fish. We have several fish fries every year but I try to make sure the kids get “cleaner” fish like crappie or small channel cats. I’m not overly paranoid about toxins in our fish, but I’m aware of it the back of my mind…
My brother eats every fish he catches. That seems crazy to me but I eat fast food. Imagine what's in that. Yes there are toxins. But gotta be less. Don't have a good answer other than I would be surprised if any Oklahoma fish is worse than many things we eat.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it’s the government trying to scare away ppl.
I
Yeah, it makes ya wonder.

It especially cracks me up when I run into situations like my liberal brother-in-law who won’t eat fish that I catch from a pond… But he’s totally fine eating Walmart imported farm raised tilapia from Thailand literally grown in sewage

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, it makes ya wonder.

It especially cracks me up when I run into situations like my liberal brother-in-law who won’t eat fish that I catch from a pond… But he’s totally fine eating Walmart imported farm raised tilapia from Thailand literally grown in sewage
Liberal=uneducated

Latest posts

Top Bottom