Purposing a pistol season along with muzzle loading season.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never understood the suppressor law. Hell it should be required if on a commercial hunt for OSHA standards!

Wardens are worried about the sound signature, bowhunting should drive them insane!!!!

ETA: An what the hell is with the cartridge description? Wouldn't kinetic energy be more descriptive? And what is with soft nose? Are hollow points not as good if not better?

The OK Wildlife Dept. needs someone who knows something about guns to help make the decisions!

Exactly +1

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got my new NWTF magazine today and found out that Ok is considering several changes in the rules. Some are about making a single license for all of the hunting season. One license takes care of all of the "tags" that have to be purchased, like the legacy, Hip, trout, and so on. I'll try to find out more about this and post it.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hollow point cartridges have been legal in Oklahoma as long as I can remember. All kinds of info in the regs if anyone wants to read it.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/regs/deerregs.htm

Ammo restrictions, poundage limits etc. are for the masses, most of whom are not gun enthusiasts. I doubt most rifle hunters in OK even know what KE stands for. A length and grain limit are easy to understand.

Really guys, OK hunting regs are some of the simplest and least restrictive in the nation. Google other states DNR, it is confusing as hell, We have it good in Oklahoma.

Alot of states they can't even use a centerfire rifle, and all we have to complain about is suppressors and shooting deer with a 9mm.

Go to a busy check station on opening day of rifle and hang out there. You are not going to see a lot of ballistic experts there.

I would have no problem with most guys on OSA hunting with whatever they think can kill a deer. They probably know enough about it to be correct, the laws aren't for you guys, they are for the 100,000 rifle hunters who barely know enough not to shoot at their buddies and are lucky to end the season with no bullet holes in their feet.

While it is certainly true that there are worse states to hunt in, that doesn't make some of our more silly laws ok. I just can't understand a law that picks solely on the AR and Mini-14 for mag capacity.

Oh well, back to your regularly scheduled pistol season.

Rhino55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Folks
Let get back to the subject I originally proposed. Pistol hunting with a caliber developed for a pistol (NOT A RIFLE) during muzzle loading season or a separate season altogether. I use my S/W 610 during regular gun season and have fun with it.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hollow point cartridges have been legal in Oklahoma as long as I can remember. All kinds of info in the regs if anyone wants to read it.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/regs/deerregs.htm

Ammo restrictions, poundage limits etc. are for the masses, most of whom are not gun enthusiasts. I doubt most rifle hunters in OK even know what KE stands for. A length and grain limit are easy to understand.

Really guys, OK hunting regs are some of the simplest and least restrictive in the nation. Google other states DNR, it is confusing as hell, We have it good in Oklahoma.

Alot of states they can't even use a centerfire rifle, and all we have to complain about is suppressors and shooting deer with a 9mm.

Go to a busy check station on opening day of rifle and hang out there. You are not going to see a lot of ballistic experts there.

I would have no problem with most guys on OSA hunting with whatever they think can kill a deer. They probably know enough about it to be correct, the laws aren't for you guys, they are for the 100,000 rifle hunters who barely know enough not to shoot at their buddies and are lucky to end the season with no bullet holes in their feet.

I was talking about handguns. From your link:

Centerfire handguns: Chambered for .24 caliber or larger and 100 grain or heavier soft-nosed bullet having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer are legal (.357 or larger) and a minimum barrel length of four (4) inches.

Semi-automatic handguns: Chambered for any centerfire ammunition with a 100-grain or heavier soft-nosed bullet and having a cartridge case size of .40 caliber or larger (includes 10 mm, .357 Sig., and 40 cal. or larger) and a minimum barrel length of four (4) inches.

Handguns chambered for any centerfire rifle ammunition: Chambered for any centerfire rifle ammunition using at least a 55-grain soft-nosed bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer and a minimum barrel length of four (4) inches

Latest posts

Top Bottom