Purposing a pistol season along with muzzle loading season.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take a look at the ballistics. You are dead wrong on this one. A quality 55gr bullet hitting a deer at velocities that 223 and larger casings can push it is much more effective that the 9mm even in +P rounds. At the speeds over 2000fps you will induce tissue damage due to hydrostatic shock. The 9mm never even gets close to 2000fps even at the muzzel.

I get what you're saying, but speed isn't everything in ballistics. The damage done by a +P 9mm Gold Dot is plenty to take down a deer. There would be very little chance of glance-and-go or non-vital hit and it would penetrate plenty deep enough for either a heart or lung shot.

.40 and .45 aren't nearly as fast as a .223, but both are legal for hunting (as is a .357sig). I just think that excluding 9mm (and I guess by reading the latest regs, .38spl is out because of the 1 1/4" overall case length requirement even out of a handgun) is a sort of knee-jerk reaction that some OK lawmaker had when hearing about the dreaded "9mm penetrating without hurting" argument back in the day.

Not leagaly you can't
That's my bad there. Did this used to be the case in the last 10 years? I'll admit that I haven't read the regs looking to go shooting with a rim-fire cartridge, but I could have sworn that I've read the fact that some rim-fire cartridges were legal in the last 10 years in the OK regs.

This is because of the idiots out there who try to pray and spray on deer with these weapons, but yes for the normal responsible hunter it is rediculous.
This doesn't change the fact that you can have a 30rd mag in any rifle except for .22 centerfire rifles - that is just plain stupid in my opinion.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Voice your opinions to the wildlife dept. Laws that we all agree need to change, wont unless the public is heard.

Exactly. Like the buckshot laws. I've been sending emails to the ODW, and talking to all the local rangers. I was told by a Captain of the ODW that it doesn't take very many calls, letters, or emails to have a change considered.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly. Like the buckshot laws. I've been sending emails to the ODW, and talking to all the local rangers. I was told by a Captain of the ODW that it doesn't take very many calls, letters, or emails to have a change considered.

I don't know about that because I've been sending emails and at least one letter to the ODWC about the 7rd mag limit as well as hunting with a suppressor (and education for game wardens as to the fact that per OK regs, you can hunt Hogs with a suppressor, so they need to stop hassling folks who are hunting hogs with a suppressor as they are considered a non-game mammal).

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never understood the suppressor law. Hell it should be required if on a commercial hunt for OSHA standards!

Wardens are worried about the sound signature, bowhunting should drive them insane!!!!

ETA: An what the hell is with the cartridge description? Wouldn't kinetic energy be more descriptive? And what is with soft nose? Are hollow points not as good if not better?

The OK Wildlife Dept. needs someone who knows something about guns to help make the decisions!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never understood the suppressor law. Hell it should be required if on a commercial hunt for OSHA standards!

Wardens are worried about the sound signature, bowhunting should drive them insane!!!!

ETA: An what the hell is with the cartridge description? Wouldn't kinetic energy be more descriptive? And what is with soft nose? Are hollow points not as good if not better?

The OK Wildlife Dept. needs someone who knows something about guns to help make the decisions!

Exactly!

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Hollow point cartridges have been legal in Oklahoma as long as I can remember. All kinds of info in the regs if anyone wants to read it.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/regs/deerregs.htm

Rifles: Centerfire rifles firing at least a 55-grain weight soft-nosed or hollow-point bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer (9mm rifles are not legal). Clips or magazines of all .22 caliber centerfire firearms may not be capable of holding more than seven (7) rounds of ammunition.

Ammo restrictions, poundage limits etc. are for the masses, most of whom are not gun enthusiasts. I doubt most rifle hunters in OK even know what KE stands for. A length and grain limit are easy to understand.

Really guys, OK hunting regs are some of the simplest and least restrictive in the nation. Google other states DNR, it is confusing as hell, We have it good in Oklahoma.

Alot of states they can't even use a centerfire rifle, and all we have to complain about is suppressors and shooting deer with a 9mm.

Go to a busy check station on opening day of rifle and hang out there. You are not going to see a lot of ballistic experts there.

I would have no problem with most guys on OSA hunting with whatever they think can kill a deer. They probably know enough about it to be correct, the laws aren't for you guys, they are for the 100,000 rifle hunters who barely know enough not to shoot at their buddies and are lucky to end the season with no bullet holes in their feet.

rockon71385

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would love to see a pistol season. I might actually get some use out of the lifetime liscense I bought when I was 7 instead of just hunting cardboard and steel all the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom