Purposing a pistol season along with muzzle loading season.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
LOL We just keep blurring the line between gun and muzzle loader seasons. At some point the ODWC will combine the two, and that will all but kill the use of MLs. A few of us diehards will still drag out the old smoke pole, but hunting will be tough with a woods gun hunters. When Oklahoma started the muzzle loader hunt there were very few hunters taking advantage of it. We rarely seen another hunter when out in the woods. Most folks thought MLs stunk and were to hard to clean and had to short of range you actually had to get close to the game which is to much work for most folks these days. So they stayed away until inlines came along with their scopes and large powder volume loads and bullets with sabots and belts and jackets. Long range was now possible with plenty of power and it was no longer necessary get in close for the shot.

Civil war technology is well over a 100 years old I don't think any of us are old enough to call the advanced technology. Modern inlines on the other hand
are newer than Vietnam technology.:wink2:

Pat

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I vote to keep muzzle loading season just that, muzzle laoders only. Whether it be rifle or pistol. If you want to hunt with a pistol, do it during gun season. I personally like just having ML only. Not everyone hunts with them and there's not as many peoply out during ML as there would be if you could also use a centerfire pistol caliber.

I would love to see a late ML season whether it be in-line or flint lock or whatever.

As far as the "in-lines are for lazy people" statement goes, I don't know if you mean the way you load it, I'm pretty sure you put the powder in the same way as a traditional, or if you mean cleaning it. They are a lot easier to clean!

I shot my first deer with a traditional ml and hunted with it for several years, and then finally one season I got fed up with trying my hardest to keep my powder dry and broke down and bought and Encore. Smartest thing I ever did!

Hog Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
broke down and bought and Encore. Smartest thing I ever did!
That's what I'm talkin' bout, I bought a Thompson Hawken rifle when I was 14 and hunted with it for close to twenty years it shot true and I harvested many deer with it. I bought it with money I made sellin coon hides when they were 25-35 dollars, thats what I miss. Lets have a season and call it Primitive arms and allow a hunter to have several deer added to the yearly harvest. And we can have a pistol season with a couple of more deer added to the harvest count:D

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as mixing it with muzzelloader season I don't know. You can already hunt with ML pistols during that time so I guess I would say leave it alone.

As it stand right now, in OK there are already 22 days a year a person can hunt with a modern pistol so why are they not already taking advantage of it if thats what they want to do.

Don't get me wrong, I like to see changes made that get more people out in the woods, but as it stands, deer can already be hunted with modern pistols during the most productive part of the hunting season as it is.

I would be more willing to accept a crossbow season. I think you would be more likely to get more people in the field and get more younger people and non archery hunters introduced. I would think several would eventually then make the transition to archery. If nothing else we would have another hunter to pass the tradition along.

As far as all of the comments about lazy hunters bla bla bla.... We need to remember that we all love the outdoors. Just because someone doesn't subscribe to your exact method of hunting doesn't make them any less valuable. We need to stick together. Things are getting worse and all the internal BS between hunters does nothing but support the antis.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm for a separate pistol season - but the thing that chaps my ass more than anything else is the blatent exclusion of the 9mm cartridge by the ODWC hunting regs.

I'm pretty sure that a 127 +P 9mm FMJ will do just as much damage as a 55gr rifle round of damn near any caliber (the bare minimum required rifle round). Hell you can shoot a deer with a .22 mag if you've got 55gr hollow-points or soft-noses.

It makes as much sense as a 7rd limitation on only .22 caliber center-fire rifles.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that a 127 +P 9mm FMJ will do just as much damage as a 55gr rifle round of damn near any caliber (the bare minimum required rifle round).

Take a look at the ballistics. You are dead wrong on this one. A quality 55gr bullet hitting a deer at velocities that 223 and larger casings can push it is much more effective that the 9mm even in +P rounds. At the speeds over 2000fps you will induce tissue damage due to hydrostatic shock. The 9mm never even gets close to 2000fps even at the muzzel.

Hell you can shoot a deer with a .22 mag if you've got 55gr hollow-points or soft-noses..

Not leagaly you can't

It makes as much sense as a 7rd limitation on only .22 caliber center-fire rifles.

This is because of the idiots out there who try to pray and spray on deer with these weapons, but yes for the normal responsible hunter it is rediculous.

Latest posts

Top Bottom