Purposing a pistol season along with muzzle loading season.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hog Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think pistol season would be great, if it would increase the number of deer you can harvest each year. We run out of meat about June, so I have been going to Mo. to get a couple to help last thru the year. In that state you can shoot as many Does as you like and the resident Doe tag is $7.00. Late muzzy season is a great idea, don't limit it to primitive arms. If you want to use a Kentuky rifle that is fine but I love my Encore. As far as pistols go I think if ou want to shoot a 30/06 out of a 14" barrel be my guest. I have a 30 Herret and it is quite effective in the woods. I think we should be able to harvest more deer to help cut down on the numbers, and they are delicious with gravy.

Mack45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe a separate season for pistol only. A season all its own for a week right after the regular gun season. It would allow for using the same handguns allowed for gun season. I think we need to thin the population down a bit.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You all split hairs like no tomorrow........muzzle loader season is muzzleloader season.....If you want to use in-line or flinlock...go for it!

The OP is talking about a pistol (handgun) season. Let us not ***** about an additional season if possible. A handgun is a hangun...lets not gripe about the caliber. If you can't define a handgun, use Google or leave this forum for being dumb! <16"=handgun or SBR (but that's different)

I'm for any additional deer opportunity, and it amazes me that people want to split hairs!

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is already a pistol season, it's call gun. I hunt with my pistols a lot during Oklahoma's deer gun season.
What I would rather see is a primitive firearms season. No inlines scopes sabots or smokeless powder. I like my inlines but lets face it other than reloading speed they aren't any different than modern cartridge firearms.
I don't mean for this to come off as offensive. but inlines are made for lazy folks. To lazy to maintain a traditional muzzle loader and to lazy to hunt with one.

Pat

This (the lazy comment) is a new perspective for me. I had always thought the conflict was "tradition vs modern." And, really, anything later than a matchlock or that wind-up sparking gizmo that preceded the flintlock is advanced technology.

The fact that traditionalists have for the most part settled on Civil War technology is of no interest to some.

For lots of shooters ML season is just another opportunity to hunt. My own take is smokeless (next year), inline, Barnes bullets, big scope, range finder, bipod, radar directed fire control, (did I miss anything?) CB

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the idea of a late season muzzleloader season, especially if it is caplock or flintlock only, no inlines.

Why no inlines? Inlines were developed before the sidelock. Reason is, because the inline was a simpler design, but because of the metalurgy at the time, the inline mechanism would blow up and send shrapnel back into the shooter, so the side lock with its huge breach plug was developed.
Scopes were used during the civil war, and before that if I remember the data that I read.

I'm proposing a smooth bore blunderbuss flintlock only season. Thats the only TRUE primative weapon. No rifling, no scopes, nothing.
Then we will go out and see how many deer we can wound and not recover.

Technology has improved the MZ to the point that it can be as good as some centerfire weapons, but it still can only be loaded from the muzzle, and is a single shot. Okla does allow double barrels, and my buddy had one, but it was worthless for accuracy.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP, are you talking about making handguns a legal means of taking during muzzle loader season, or pistol caliber and large bore rifles legal during muzzle loader season? Please specify. I know some states have made single shot large bores legal (45-70, .44 mag etc.)

I would be OK with single shot large bore rifles being legal in muzzle loader, They have the same range and reliability as a scoped inline. If we allow a scoped .50 inline, a scoped 45-70 single shot is not much different.

I would NOT support a separate handgun season as in separate dates. I would be OK with single shot handguns/rifles in certain calibers being legal during the October muzzle loader season. But it is not that big a deal to me. We have almost a 3 week gun season already, you can always use them then if you want. Either way does not really matter much to me.

I REALLY would like to see us add a nine day muzzle loader season in late December for FLINTLOCKS ONLY like Pennsylvania and others have. I think that would be the bee knees. I think it would be cool to encourage people to pick up a flinter. Sure would give me the motivation I've been lacking.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't really see a need for it. Just use your pistol during gun season. Unless the point is to add another season. Seeing how you can shoot a deer from Oct. 1-January, I really don't see a need to extend the season any longer.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why no inlines? Inlines were developed before the sidelock. Reason is, because the inline was a simpler design, but because of the metalurgy at the time, the inline mechanism would blow up and send shrapnel back into the shooter, so the side lock with its huge breach plug was developed.
Scopes were used during the civil war, and before that if I remember the data that I read.

I'm proposing a smooth bore blunderbuss flintlock only season. Thats the only TRUE primative weapon. No rifling, no scopes, nothing.
Then we will go out and see how many deer we can wound and not recover.

Technology has improved the MZ to the point that it can be as good as some centerfire weapons, but it still can only be loaded from the muzzle, and is a single shot. Okla does allow double barrels, and my buddy had one, but it was worthless for accuracy.

Come on Dennis, that doesnt make much sense. By that logic we might as well eliminate bow season or ban people from using recurves and longbows because of "how many deer they might wound". Everybody should just use scoped 30-06s all year, no bows.

That wound and not recover stuff doesn't fly with me. Rifle hunters wound more deer than any other type of hunter statistically.

Pennsylvania has a "modern" muzzloader season in October like us, and a flintlock season in late December. We alreay have a season where my Omega is legal, and thats fine and dandy. Has nothing to do with adding a late december flintlock season.

I think the late December flintlock would be cool. I like encouraging people to try new things in hunting and shooting. THE MCAAP hunt has gotten alot of people, including myself into traditional archery that never would have otherwise. A flintlock season would get more people into something different.

Nothing holier than thou about that, unless you want to make it out that way.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have to realize I posted that as a partial satire, as I see you did.:D

I've been on several forums where that was a heated discussion.

Just throwing out some things.
I was serious about the inline being before the sidelock. Some of the newest BP are really accurate. My MK-85 was a tack driver. My Savage smokeless is even better. The only difference is cleaning. Smokless powder is a substitute for blackpowder.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have to realize I posted that as a partial satire, as I see you did.:D

I've been on several forums where that was a heated discussion.

Just throwing out some things.
I was serious about the inline being before the sidelock. Some of the newest BP are really accurate. My MK-85 was a tack driver.

I'm betting if we had a late December flintlock season next year, I'd see a picture of you on OSA holding a flintlock over a dead deer. No?:D

Latest posts

Top Bottom