Pushmataha WMA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't ever hunted it, but it should be a good hunt. Visit with the ODWC biologist well in advance and go scout at least a full day before your hunt. Look for pinch points, creek crossings etc. Mark these spots on your GPS. Try to find at least 3 spots and the more the merrier. The day before the hunt, with gps coordinates these spots can be checked quickly for the most fresh sign.
Hunt days: plan on staying in there all day. Many times deer move mid day when pressured. Be sure to be in your hunting spot an hour before legal light, so any deer you bump walking in, have had a chance to relax and move back in.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Jack Waymire was the biologist there when I took a kid down for a draw you turkey hunt years ago and was a wealth of information. Enjoyed the hunt, way different terrain and habitat than what I'm used to.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hunted there once for black powder draw. I will tell you for sure If you don't scout it, don't waste the gas for the hunt. The terrain is totally unlike other parts of the state that you may be used to.

SWRhodd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jack Waymire was the biologist there when I took a kid down for a draw you turkey hunt years ago and was a wealth of information. Enjoyed the hunt, way different terrain and habitat than what I'm used to.

Jack is a good guy. He was the biologist for Yourman WMA when I drawn a youth hunt about 15+ yrs. ago. He is a wealth of knowledge, I will give him a call sometime.

I have hunted south of Wilburton for many years growing up, I know the terrain can be pretty rigorous.

badfish1977

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know this was an old post but I just happened along it. Not sure where you would get the number of 18 at but the number I found was nearly 1900 total deer taken last year. http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/hunting/deertotals/13county.pdf
I've personally been hunting the area in SE Oklahoma (public lands only) for many years and know for a fact that the deer population is very good, with lots of big bucks. Find a good well used trail or a good stand of hardwoods along a creek or similar and you will be in a pretty good spot. Do a little walking and get past the areas others probably stop. I would be interested in knowing more about Yourman WMA SWRhodd because I just purchased a cabin north of Wilburton and like the fact that Yourman is walk in only. Dakota Christian with the ODWC down in SE has always been good with sharing info, even sending me maps with spots marked. You can find his email through the ODWC.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know this was an old post but I just happened along it. Not sure where you would get the number of 18 at but the number I found was nearly 1900 total deer taken last year. http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/hunting/deertotals/13county.pdf
I've personally been hunting the area in SE Oklahoma (public lands only) for many years and know for a fact that the deer population is very good, with lots of big bucks. .
You were trolled hard and took the bait. He was being a little sarcastic.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago hunted down on River Road about three years in a row. Drew out for muzzle-loader. Some acorn flats and old clear cuts. So long ago now I bet the clear cuts don't look too clear now. Fair success but nothing big.

That was when they still claimed a few elk were there. Never saw one but did see some awfully large tracks.

Also hunted on Hickory all the way down to the bottom near the boundary fence. Tons of sign but that was it. Oh...and one large rattlesnake did not live out the season.

Had my closest encounter with a pig there too. Really makes one look for the closest climbable tree when all you have is one smoky shot.

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago hunted down on River Road about three years in a row. Drew out for muzzle-loader. Some acorn flats and old clear cuts. So long ago now I bet the clear cuts don't look too clear now. Fair success but nothing big.

That was when they still claimed a few elk were there. Never saw one but did see some awfully large tracks.

Also hunted on Hickory all the way down to the bottom near the boundary fence. Tons of sign but that was it. Oh...and one large rattlesnake did not live out the season.

Had my closest encounter with a pig there too. Really makes one look for the closest climbable tree when all you have is one smoky shot.

Definately still elk there. Seen one not too far from where Divide and Dogwood roads split, looked like the rack was as wide as my truck. I've never had any success deer hunting there although i've seen plenty of big bucks and does while driving in and out. One morning while walking in I must have walked up on fifteen deer, but all I could see was their glowing eyes. Might take my crossbow up there this year, but i'm also eyeing James Collins.

Latest posts

Top Bottom