Question about .380 ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remington

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pick up my new Kahr P380 (primary use CCW) today and I'm looking at ammo.

There is a lot of talk about using FMJ for penetration and hollow points for expansion. To me it seems it's a personal prefrence and determing which bullets shoot best in your gun,

I looked over this webpage: http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/380acp/gel380acp.htm. Test protocol: 2 layers loose denim

Question: I've read expansion stops, penetration kills. The hollowpoints are averaging 12 inches. Do you really need more penetration than that? At 12 inches and a properly expanded bullet doens't that constitute stopping power and penetration? How much penetration do you need?

After all I've read, the one thing I thought was the most interesting was someone saying they alternating FMJ and hollow points in the gun.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I generally use some kind of self defense ammo in my mouse guns.
There is a solid argument for fmj, especially in the winter when heavy coats come out.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of smaller guns aren't the most reliable, so I think the main thing is to make sure you gun likes a particular ammo. This is especially important if you want to alternate FMJ with HP's. For me, I usually carry CorBon DPX or Winchester Ranger T-series in my Keltec and my LCP. I don't have an issue with anyone who wants to run FMJ. These are "get off me" guns anyway, so I think the difference, in practical usage, is minimal.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer Fiocchi 95 gr FMJ in my .380acp PPK/S. Reliability is king in this caliber. My PPK/S likes the Fiocchi so that's what she gets.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

My guess as to why is that different ammo loaded in the same magazine adds one more unknown to the mix. Self defense guns are all about reliability, and anything that increases uncertainty, and I have never seen any studies on alternating ammo types in the same mag, necessarily increases uncertainty.

Sol may have some other reason, but that'd be mine.

My P3AT likes Fiocchi ball. CB

ABQ87120

New to the site!
Reaction score
I sometimes carry a Ruger LCP. A sub-three inch barrel is going to deliver only minimal bullet velocity, even if your shooting a 40mm grenade launcher.

I've done a little research and can say this is the general consensus: The JHPs are not going to penetrate as far as an FMJ but will have a better wound channel. An FMJ will penetrate like being stabbed with an ice pick but will also leave an ice pick wound channel.

So, pick your poison. If heavy outer wear is typical for the weather, I carry FMJ (better than bouncing off the clothing). For light clothing weather, I carry Hornady FTX Critical Defense. It does not develop all the velocity it claims out of a short barrel but will expand reliably... A very real issue with slow bullets,

If you can conceal something larger than a pocket gun, get a sub-compact 9mm, perhaps a single-stack. The handle is what's hard to conceal. 9mm (in a 3.5" barrel) is generally considered the minimum necessary for self-defense. Of course, my LCP is extremely accurate up to 10 feet. This is a typical distance for an SHTF moment. No one wants seven in the face, not even .380s.

My EDC is a Glock .40 compact double stack, 4" barrel. I've had lots of practice and find it easy to hide. I have the typical drawer full of holsters I never wear and settled on a Galco Tuck-N-Go (IWB) and a Comp-Tac Paddle (OWB). They do the job and cost less than $100 combined with shipping. In-the-pocket, I use a Desantis Nemesis for the LCP: $22 here http://www.midwest-tactical.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=nemesisLCPwithCT Forget the Cargo model.

.380 is too small for an IDPA shoot. Rent or borrow a 9mm and go to a meet. You can generally shoot as a guest for under $20. It will be a very real eye-opener... Much, much different from poking holes down a lane at a range. Forget the score. It will show you what you need to work on to stay alive.

This is a Ruger forum but is interesting: http://elsiepeaforum.com Here's another: http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=104 and http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1199737660
Just my .02

Dan in ABQ

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
where are you all finding fiochi? I like the prvi also, seems a little warmer, has I believe a 92gr slug.

I bought a bunch of Fiocchi from H&H awhile back and picked some more up at Cabela's in Ft. Worth the other day while I was down there. Haven't tried the Prvi yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom