Question about .380 ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmwolf

Marksman
Reaction score
FYI... there's a good article about the performance of a .380 in the Jan issue of SWAT. Worth reading to get a better perspective on the .380 lethality, or lack thereof.

fire65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 380 debate again. I have one, not my main carry. I do agree it is not a 45, but if I can it you two out of the seven rounds you will not be happy no matter what ammo I shoot you with. I think it will give me time to take other action, RUN.
You can't always carry your big gun. The 380 is a great pocket carry, at least for me.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Remember a barrels length on a semi-auto pistol is measured from the face of the barrel to the end of the chamber, in reality with a four inch barrel in .380 you actually only have a 3.5" barrel that the bullet will be traveling down. The .380 is very challenged in this area, more so than in some of the larger autos in 9MM, and .45acp. If you notice in the video at the top above the screen they tell you what barrel length they performed the test with. Shooting the .380 in even shorter barrels will sacrifice velocity and foot pounds of energy. Even though Hornady claims to have made this for shorter barreled guns, I would be surprised to find this cartridge to function as stated in something the size of an LPC. Now shot out of a gun the size of a Beretta 85/84/86, Browning BDA, or Walther PP I would expect it to have the needed velocity to work as described. Plus longer barrel also means better sight picture, larger grip for recoil control due to the blowback nature of these firearms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom