Question about guns on RV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

settingsun

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please forward if this is not the correct forum.

I am about to drive thru lower states in an RV, say all 48 of them. Is it legal to keep pistols on the RV?
thanks

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But only when it is not moving. While it is moving, it is considered a vehicle and you must follow the appropriate laws of that state regarding transporting firearms in a vehicle.
Yes and I think by default as long as its "out of his reach" when hes driving because its locked in the RV, he is good, is he not?

tulsamal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember the woman who was arrested in New Jersey despite having a valid CCW? The laws are different and some states are a PITA. For instance, driving through California. You get pulled over and somehow a search is launched. Then you have guns that aren't on the CA Approved List. AR's with high capacity mags. Glocks with high capacity mags. Etc. Same thing in Illinois or New York state.

I used to drive from OK to OH. Went through Illinois. I would always stop and unload my CCW and put it in the trunk before I crossed the state line. Then load back up at the other side. I wasn't going to jail over this.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In anti-gun places like NYC and Washington D.C. that have all out bans or wide reaching handgun restrictions, federal transportation laws (Firearms Owner Protection Act) will not always protect you from arrest. They might help in fighting prosecution, but I wouldn't want to be in that situation.

I'd steer clear of any State or municipality that has outright handgun bans or strict permitting laws.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20140630/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation
http://www.handgunlaw.us

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Remember the woman who was arrested in New Jersey despite having a valid CCW? The laws are different and some states are a PITA. For instance, driving through California. You get pulled over and somehow a search is launched. Then you have guns that aren't on the CA Approved List. AR's with high capacity mags. Glocks with high capacity mags. Etc. Same thing in Illinois or New York state.

I used to drive from OK to OH. Went through Illinois. I would always stop and unload my CCW and put it in the trunk before I crossed the state line. Then load back up at the other side. I wasn't going to jail over this.

Did the same driving to Chicago last summer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom