question for long-time loaders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok, here is my question. Once you have established a load, will the same load from a differnt lot (different can of powder, box of bullets ect.) keep the same zero in your rifle?

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
within reason... Yes. I've been at this so long that some of the powders have changed quite a bit over the years, so I file away old loading data and stay with current data from the manufacturer of the powder. On the old stocks of powder, I maintain the data that came with it. As long as you are not at max load, you probably won't see any difference from lot to lot in powder. loads spaning a decade or more are the ones that I normally watch. If you are one of the "one holers" (bench rest shooters..) changing primer or powder lot number may be noticible, but for ordinary shooting, you probably don't hold better than a couple of inches normally off hand anyway. If thats the case, don't worry about it. Just my experiences.. Blitzfike

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of a ditto from me also.
Outside of the time when one hole meant everything I don't notice much variation.
As long as it stays accurate enough for whatever I'm shooting I don't worry much.
Just take the time to check your load periodically at the range to insure it's still consistent.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My main reason asking this is I just like to hunt, so withing a couple inches is perfectly acceptable, I had a coyote hunt to go on, only about 10 rounds, so I checked my zero with it, then load some more off my data.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What makes the most difference in weather the bullet hits high or low is the weather,,,Talking about temperature...I have worked up loads in my 30-06 that shoot less than 3/4" at 100yards...my scope zeroed at 100 and temp is 45 degrees F. i have shot the same load and got the same good groups at 86 degrees F. and the load was 1.25" high...

Temperature extremes make more difference than lot numbers..at least for me

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I agree, temperature changes seem to make more difference that lot to lot variations for the most part, but probably that depends on the manufacturer of the powder and how strict their Q/A is.

Good luck,

Alan

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The same weight of powder from batch to batch produces fairly consistent ballistics.
However, if you throw charges by volume it is highly advisable to recalibrate the measure with a scale for each batch change. The density from batch to batch can change enough to cause problems, particularly at max loads.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only big difference I'venoticed was using Sierra 175gr Matchkings. I started noticing quite a bit of difference in the length from bullet to bullet that caused some to seat deeper and create more pressure. Other than that bullet I haven't noticed any difference between batches.

Latest posts

Top Bottom