Question for the duck hunters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAINT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know the season is almost over but i need some help/advice. I've been hunting a 2-3 acre reservoir lately and have done fairly decent. From what i've seen a good amount of birds fly in in the mornings (20-40). This morning we went out set up and didn't hear or see very many ducks come in, maybe around twelve or so. Once the sun came up we saw at least 20 sitting on the other side of the reservoir and another 20+ flew up (when we shot at some coming in) in the creek that connects to the reservoir. We didn't hear or see any of these come in. We took my boat back into the creek and it looks like they have been roosting back in there. Question is, how or could i get them to come to my spread? Calling doesn't seem to work, im not a bad caller either. Last night was a full moon and ive been wondering if that has anything to do with it. Any help would be appreciated.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rule #1 of duck hunting: Don't argue with the ducks!

Best advice I can give you on this is to set up the next day where you saw the birds the day before. If I were to guess, I bet the birds were tucked up against the bank that provided the most protection from the wind.

It's really tough to call birds from one side of a pond to the other or to get them to leave another pond and come to your spread. It usually only works with a small amount of birds that are looking for company. I'm not saying its impossible, but you'll be much more successful if you set up where they want to be.

PAINT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rule #1 of duck hunting: Don't argue with the ducks!

Best advice I can give you on this is to set up the next day where you saw the birds the day before. If I were to guess, I bet the birds were tucked up against the bank that provided the most protection from the wind.

It's really tough to call birds from one side of a pond to the other or to get them to leave another pond and come to your spread. It usually only works with a small amount of birds that are looking for company. I'm not saying its impossible, but you'll be much more successful if you set up where they want to be.

The water situation is kind of weird. About 85% of the reservoir is on my families property, the over percentage is on someone elses property. Otherwise i'd set up in a different spot on the neighbor's land that would probably be best (close to the mouth of the creek). I've experimented with different spots and I am pretty sure i've found the best one available on our property. We had them coming right in to our decoys last weekend.

I am going to see if they are coming out of the creek tomorrow. You would think they would swim to the decoys, but maybe they saw me puting them out. But yes, i totally agree with you about calling ducks over, it's extremely tough.

Once you think you've got everything figured out you get thrown a curveball! This has taken a lot more thought and strategy than i thought, but thats why i like it so much. I'd invite you to out, but it would be a three hour drive. Thanks for the help.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I like "don't argue with the ducks". Good one. Also, I am still trying to get my hands around the crazy world of duck hunting and still have a lot to learn but it seems to me that at times, the ducks placement on water has something to do with wind conditions. Good this be on the day you went?

Latest posts

Top Bottom