question for the mechanics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
we bought an 04 honda pilot friday. yesterday we got back from the grocery store and there was a decen sized puddle under the car. appears to be from the rear main. i'm goinmg to contact the guy i bought it from and talk to him about it.
question #1 how much does this job book out for? question #2. i have a feeling that its in the 700-1000 range. what would you guys do in my position,or for that matter, the other guys position. we've only put about 40 miles on it and it was not leaking before and i really don't think the car was misrepresented.
thanks for any input.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
thanks for the lead on phillip,does he do work on the side? and yep, its my puddle. i have to put a rag down to catch it in the driveway. i havn't told my wife yet,she loves the car and would sh!d bricks if she knew what was going on!

i'm trying to put myself in his shoes. i mean, if i sold someone a car and it developed a major problem within 40 miles, i would feel somewhat responsible,but thats me.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks for the lead on phillip,does he do work on the side? and yep, its my puddle. i have to put a rag down to catch it in the driveway. i havn't told my wife yet,she loves the car and would sh!d bricks if she knew what was going on!

i'm trying to put myself in his shoes. i mean, if i sold someone a car and it developed a major problem within 40 miles, i would feel somewhat responsible,but thats me.

Yes, I had him work on my Accord. He does good work.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
don't assume it's the main seal leaking. source of oil could be a number of places.
is the oil auto tranny fluid or engine oil? usually tranny fluid will be colored.

have you checked engine and auto tranny fluid levels?
could be a leaky pan gasket or what ever. always start with the easiest fix and work upwards.

splitting engine and transmission $$$$ is the only way to get at the main oil seal. I would find a forum that specializes in your vehicle and find out just how common are main seal leaks. if it almost never happens... then it's probably something else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom