Question on GPS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The technology is there.

You can be tracked through your phone. There are YouTube articles that show you how to access your location activity. It also shows how to turn it off.

I don’t know when they started installing them, but vehicles have “black boxes” that store information. I learned that in 2007 when I was talking to an officer about a fatality accident. He said they had pulled the box and had to download the information at the office. It could tell location, speed and other features before impact.

I predict hacking a car is coming too. Think about it. If Onstar can unlock your doors and shut down your OnStar equipped car from a location several states away, how long before a hacker can take over? I have Onstar on my truck and the only feature I signed up for is Onstar will be activated if I’m in a crash and provide a location in case I can’t call for help.

Your home WiFi can track your browsing history and it won’t be long before you see things you’ve been looking at show up in ads or spam. If I look at something on eBay or Amazon, then switch over to FB, guess what ads start showing up.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, the answer is 'yes', then?
I'm not aware of any cars that have that capability built into their systems, but the cellular carriers could provide a location history. They have to know what is connecting to their cell towers for billing purposes, so it all depends on what level of logging they do and how long they keep those logs. For the purposes of fiction, it's not unreasonable to assume that their logging is detailed enough to recreate a location track.

The "black box" built into newer cars won't record enough data to be useful; it's basically just a rolling buffer that's constantly having newer data replace older data until some type of predefined event (maybe an airbag deployment) causes it to write that buffer to non-volatile storage. You're only talking a few seconds of data immediately preceding the event, though, not enough to recreate a location track.

As was mentioned earlier, planting a GPS-based tracker on the vehicle seems more plausible, even if it's just dropping a cell phone into the car.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fisa warrant would allow access to uconnect and onstar type services. But frankly it would be easier to get district court warrant and install a temporary or hard wired tracker...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I suspect you are correct in most cases. As recent as a couple years ago, when repetitve thefts were happening in an area of my responsibility, I was in communication with a deputy that was assigned to the case. He was pretty sure of who was doing it, but wanted to catch them in the act. He said they had tried to put a tracker on their vehicle but everytime they tried to slip in "methville" (neighborhood) to put a tracker on the pick up someone was outside that may see it.
The suspects were apprehended soon because of a small gps tag that was hidden on items that were commonly taken in the thefts.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They probably know if you fart in your car.

I'm surprised I haven't been quarantined yet! Oh wait! I'm safe! Neither one of my vehicles has OnStar or the equivalent. One is a 1996 and the other is 1999. My cell phone is a Nokia 5190 of 1998 vintage. To trace me they'll have to put a bug on my vehicles and triangulate using cell towers to find my phone - if and when it's turned on! :tounge2:

Woody

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a GPS that you update online, it submits all your old travel history-anonymously with out markers so they say. This so they can update maps and data.

So it would seem that if you have a GPS that stores your trips, travel, or waypoints, that those files could be retrieved and travel reconstructed with authorization-your consent or search warrant.

Latest posts

Top Bottom