Quick Draw video

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesensei

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's ac37 and I working on our quick draw from concealment. Shots are fired from 5 yards on a 9" round steel target.

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kyB7P3WD3dQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0x999999&amp;border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kyB7P3WD3dQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0x999999&amp;border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats some great shooting!!

I would like to see however using just one hand to get the shirt out of the way and one handed shooting. Only reason being is if your other hand is tied up holding onto kids, loved one, groceries, fighting off the bad guy, etc. etc.

Either way definitely good drills and i'm sure we are only seeing the tip of whats covered in that class mentioned at the end. Glad we got people like this teaching others basic skills needed to utilize that hunk of metal we have decided to carry around on our person in a very subdued fashion.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice video....hitting off of the statement by Spooln-rex , can you get that speed when standing in a relaxed and "unexpected" stance, you know, hands at your sides or even in the hands up position? I noticed that every shot you guys were in a ready stance and waiting for the beep, like a competitve shooter would. Still, nice shooting and great drills. :thumb: I need to practice more.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice video....hitting off of the statement by Spooln-rex , can you get that speed when standing in a relaxed and "unexpected" stance, you know, hands at your sides or even in the hands up position? I noticed that every shot you guys were in a ready stance and waiting for the beep, like a competitve shooter would. Still, nice shooting and great drills. :thumb: I need to practice more.

Definitely a good point i noticed that after i posted. I need to get back out to the range i'm starting to have withdrawals being its been a month since i have shot any of my firearms :crying:........ But i like seeing drills like this because it gives me different things to think about and practice none the less. Even dry firing this would be a great drill just for presentation getting the first hit.

thesensei

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats some great shooting!!

I would like to see however using just one hand to get the shirt out of the way and one handed shooting. Only reason being is if your other hand is tied up holding onto kids, loved one, groceries, fighting off the bad guy, etc. etc.

Either way definitely good drills and i'm sure we are only seeing the tip of whats covered in that class mentioned at the end. Glad we got people like this teaching others basic skills needed to utilize that hunk of metal we have decided to carry around on our person in a very subdued fashion.

Thanks! Actually, we are doing one-handed drills as well. We will get them on video shortly. They're not quite as fast, but reasonably close. The main reason we haven't recorded that yet is that one-handed draws are not covered in this particular class (that will be in level 2 that is still under development). We wanted to show the skill set that we are teaching immediately!

They are good drills, and of course, there's so much more to consider - multiple targets and shots, scanning for more work, reloads, immediate action drills, dealing with a physically close attacker, and I could go on!

It's unfortunate that too many people seem to think of their gun as a magic talisman. It's a great tool, only if you know how to effectively use it!

thesensei

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Hands up adds about a tenth of a second or so. The same for hands at the sides. Standing in a less ready position would probably add a bit more as well. But I normally stand in an "interview position" (hands positioned similarly to the video), or with my thumbs hooked in my pockets, which is a very good position to clear the shirt and draw one-handed, so it's a fairly close comparison to reality (it's difficult to get relaxed when you KNOW that beep is coming!).

Of course, in a real surprise self-defense situation, you will not perform to the level at which you have practiced and trained. Therefore, get a lot of good practice so you'll perform reasonably well when the dung flies at the spinny-thingy on the ceiling! And hopefully, good situational awareness will give a jump-start on any bad stuff that starts going down.

thesensei

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even dry firing this would be a great drill just for presentation getting the first hit.

Yes, it's a great drill for dry firing. Especially if you actually press the trigger - when you go fast, your trigger control leaves you, and you will see some slaps and jerks!

Practice by steps, doing each step fast, and stopping to think about the next step. Then smooth it out, but do it in slow motion. Then begin to speed it up. All the while, pick a small target (a thumb tack is great) on the wall to focus your aim on. Present the gun so that the muzzle is always on the target, never high in the air or on the ground, so that, if necessary, you could make hits anywhere along the path. Work to acquire your front sight early.

There's a LOT to think about and work on in that paragraph - I won't have it perfected for a long time yet!

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks! Actually, we are doing one-handed drills as well. We will get them on video shortly. They're not quite as fast, but reasonably close. The main reason we haven't recorded that yet is that one-handed draws are not covered in this particular class (that will be in level 2 that is still under development). We wanted to show the skill set that we are teaching immediately!

They are good drills, and of course, there's so much more to consider - multiple targets and shots, scanning for more work, reloads, immediate action drills, dealing with a physically close attacker, and I could go on!

It's unfortunate that too many people seem to think of their gun as a magic talisman. It's a great tool, only if you know how to effectively use it!

And you are completely right. I have never timed myself in trying to get the gun out and shoot may be worth looking into for sure. Either way you gotta start somewhere.

Another thing is while you are starting with hands up that is realistic in its own sense as if your being approached buy someone you are unsure of. In the advanced carry class i took we went over this quite a bit. Starting by keeping situational awareness and then identifying someone's presence that you are unsure of. While you dont have to be an ass to them at first a simple "Hey hold on a sec" works for most people to get their attention and slow them down. While the potential lowlife or eager salesman will ignore this statement then you go into getting your hands in front of you with a "STOP" command. While this doesnt have to be yelling at them but you are certainly telling them to stop. After that proceed how you wish. Personally if they aren't complying after "STOP"! I'm amping it up to a point where im moving and keeping my distance with a louder command of "Back UP!!!" while getting my shirt cleared and grip established on my weapon. Because like we have seen thats what takes the longest and is the hardest part of the entire sequence. and at that point im not worried about if they see my gun because they obviously either want to do me harm or the like. and at the most you are brandishing your weapon until you point it at them.

Sorry for the small rant but its something i really took with me that day especially after doing the role playing with it using red guns.

Anyways i look forward to seeing the other vids and will definitely keep you guys in mind when i can get myself into another class.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I never realized this until I really started training hard with my guns - it was quickly apparent to me that I had been a little separated from reality before that time since what I thought I could do and what I could actually do were two separate things.

Good video. What's up with the sideways hold while giving that last visual sweep? Is that a lefty thing or is it just easier to do before holstering in either hand?

Latest posts

Top Bottom