Rabbits for food

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was about 11 or 12 years old my brothers and I decided we would get the Rabbit Raising merit badge. That was quite an experience. We had lived on the farm a while but never saw anything like rabbits go at it. We laughed so hard we pee'd ourselves.

Anyway back on topic we raised them for another 5 or 6 years until life made us too busy to continue. I'm thinking maybe it's time to get back into it. They were definitely good eating.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So do you raise them like chickens and when they are ready, you put them up or when you get hungry for rabbit, you pick out which lucky one gets the skillet?

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So do you raise them like chickens and when they are ready, you put them up or when you get hungry for rabbit, you pick out which lucky one gets the skillet?

You can do either, in a crap hit the fan scenario, you can keep them "on the hoof" until ready to cook an eat so nothing spoils, or when the young are fat enough, wackem and stackem for later so you aren't feeding them jut to maintain.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

nic6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started getting into this last year, I wanted something easy to maintain. I welded a frame so my cages hang (2 levels) with coroplast to redirect waste from lower level rabbits. It has been super easy to clean, just hose it off every now and then.
I built an automatic watering system using an old ice chest, in summer I just dump in some ice, and for winter a submersible heater & livewell pump circulating it so its freeze proof.

If that makes sense.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are pretty easy and make for some gooooooooooooooood eats. About the only difference between chickens and rabbits is no eggs.

Wife keeps talking about getting rabbits, again. We raised them for years when the kids were in school. I tell her, "why? the grandkids all have rabbits, we get the supply without the upkeep."

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are pretty easy and make for some gooooooooooooooood eats. About the only difference between chickens and rabbits is no eggs.

Wife keeps talking about getting rabbits, again. We raised them for years when the kids were in school. I tell her, "why? the grandkids all have rabbits, we get the supply without the upkeep."
Rabbits are a lot easier to clean too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom