RACIST Slurs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have read pretty much the whole thread.

Most of it is entirely off topic despite JB's repeated efforts to keep it on the rails.

The way I read JB's post, he wants terms and language of a racist nature not to be used here. I would infer that this extends to insulting terms relating to religion, sexual orientation, political leanings (somebody called someone a traitor recently), etc.

It's not a difficult concept. Say what you want, just respect forum rules.

All of us are entitled to our opinions, but we are expected to express them in a respectful manner.

Having said that, is there anyone here who has changed what he or she believes about these "hot button" subjects, even a little bit, as a result of something posted here?

jonah7

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your church should obey God's law, not the Government. The Government was created to represent The People as a whole. Not some of them, not even the majority. There are two ways to do this, either allow ALL religions to influence law (which isn't a very effective way to go about this) or allow NO religions to dictate law. Considering there are millions of non-Christian citizens in the US who have to follow laws influenced by Christianity, this whole "I shouldn't have to accept someone else's beliefs!" argument is laughable.

The Government is not re-defining anything. Your church recognizes "Holy Matrimony" as the union of two individuals. The Government recognizes "marriage" as the union of two individuals. Do not confuse the two, as they are not the same terms.

You serious, Clark?

www.vehrcommunications.com_wp_content_uploads_2012_12_Cousin_Eddie.jpg

Besides the fact that the vast majority of states outlaw same-sex marriage justified under Christianity, read the "I'm going there!" thread. There are many people who want to justify the denying of the right to marriage to homosexuals all because their bible tells them it's wrong. Unrelated to your question, I also understand that this "shall not lie with another man" biblical teaching is taken out of context and actually has nothing at all to do with same-sex couples, especially marriage.

You're totally wrong on your last point. And Jesus established that marriage was one man, one woman from the beginning, and because he's God, that pretty much settles our little "matters of opinion". Your bit about "Holy Matrimony" and marriage is a distinction without a difference. Which worldview do you want our country to operate under? The atheist worldview, in which ethics and morality are fungible and anything can be justified? Or the Judeo-Christian worldview, which posits a Lawgiver that transcends human opinion? Our country is based on the latter. Communist countries were (and are) based on the former. To change the worldview is to destroy the USA.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So are you in favor of fully legalized gambling, prostitution, unlimited drug use, etc.?

I am on counts 1 and 2, and mostly on 3.

Gambling: If someone wants to pay a "stupid tax" because they gamble with money they don't have, that's their problem. You reap what you sow. If I want to be a responsible gambler and only play the games with money that I can afford to lose, I should be able to. No one (well, except maybe my wife) seems to have a problem with me lighting a $20 bill (cigar) on fire and drinking a $10 bill (Scotch) on the tailgate of my truck and enjoying God's creation. Why shouldn't I be able to take that $30 and see if I can turn it into $300 (or more)?

Prostitution: What's it my business that two or more consenting adults enter into a contractual agreement to exchange sexual services for money?

Drug Use: If it's a natural substance, who are we to control access to God's creation? Pharmaceutical companies turn out worse drugs that are designed to produce a dependency, and doctors happily prescribe them if you ask for them. (Remember, meth is available by prescription for children with no dosage limit - just has to be an FDA-approved manufacturer.) Why can't I self-medicate with natural herbal remedies? Why can't I enjoy nature in a recreational manner? If you still want government involved, perhaps treat natural drugs like we do others such as alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, and sugar: Public Health instead of Crime and Punishment.

ETA: RE: "consenting adults" post later in thread about justifying "immoral" behavior -
-- The Oklahoma law against consensual oral sex between a heterosexual married couple in a private setting is still on the books (misdemeanor and $2,500 fine). Struck down by court rulings, but still on the books. A zealot could probably argue about the logic in those rulings, but they'd likely lose.

jonah7

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those of you arguing with me about sterile couples are missing the point. The reason that marriage is one man, one woman, is because we were created that way in order to facilitate the formation of the family unit. The fact that some marriages don't produce biological children doesn't negate the definition of marriage. By contrast *no same sex union* can produce children *ever*. That's the difference which to me seems like common sense, but which so many cannot seem to grasp (or choose not to).

Why is it so difficult to understand that a man's penis was not meant to enter another man's anus? And why are so many of you so eager to facilitate that?

jonah7

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am on counts 1 and 2, and mostly on 3.

Gambling: If someone wants to pay a "stupid tax" because they gamble with money they don't have, that's their problem. You reap what you sow. If I want to be a responsible gambler and only play the games with money that I can afford to lose, I should be able to. No one (well, except maybe my wife) seems to have a problem with me lighting a $20 bill (cigar) on fire and drinking a $10 bill (Scotch) on the tailgate of my truck and enjoying God's creation. Why shouldn't I be able to take that $30 and see if I can turn it into $300 (or more)?

Prostitution: What's it my business that two or more consenting adults enter into a contractual agreement to exchange sexual services for money?

Drug Use: If it's a natural substance, who are we to control access to God's creation? Pharmaceutical companies turn out worse drugs that are designed to produce a dependency, and doctors happily prescribe them if you ask for them. (Remember, meth is available by prescription for children with no dosage limit - just has to be an FDA-approved manufacturer.) Why can't I self-medicate with natural herbal remedies? Why can't I enjoy nature in a recreational manner? If you still want government involved, perhaps treat natural drugs like we do others such as alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, and sugar: Public Health instead of Crime and Punishment.

ETA: RE: "consenting adults" post later in thread about justifying "immoral" behavior -
-- The Oklahoma law against consensual oral sex between a heterosexual married couple in a private setting is still on the books (misdemeanor and $2,500 fine). Struck down by court rulings, but still on the books. A zealot could probably argue about the logic in those rulings, but they'd likely lose.

It's an unbiblical law anyway. The Bible says nothing on the subject.

The vices you describe are all varieties of self-harm, either economic or physical. We are supposed to glorify God in our bodies, and be good stewards of our finances. That's why those activities are immoral. BTW the Bible does not say that drinking or smoking are sinful, unless they become addictions, or they are done to excess and become harmful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom