Rage???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok so here comes my I will never buy a rage broadhead again story.

Ok So I watched the outdoor hunting channels all the time and it was buy rage buy rage they are the best. I went and did that. Bought mechanical type 3 blade. I don't leave my bow to the weather unless I am hunting and it starts raining. But been using the broadheads through October and was into Mid November before I even shot a deer. Had been watching mainly and waiting for a certain buck. I had many smaller bucks and does but passed. Anyways Got to be Mid November and shot a doe. I had a decent trail to follow. She ended up being about 150-200 Yds from where I shot her. arrow was still stuck in her. Pulled the arrow and only One Blade opened. The other were stuck closed. Found the problem to be rust. I never in my mind thought of rust keeping a mechanical blade from opening. I then went to their fixed blade and shot a deer the next year. again wasn't impressed as a good shot and he still went 100+ yds. arrow passed through just didn't do a whole lot of work as it passed through.

Since then I have bought Steel Force Fixed 4 blade. I have shot 5 deer I believe with them and never had one go farther than 30-40yds. most within 30yds.

Like said above some love some hate. I don't like them and won't buy any more. I have heard a lot of good from Magnus broad heads also. Both Magnus and Steel force are made in USA.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tried the 2 blade rage last year and quickly went back to my fixed blades. Had a couple of fliers that did not make sense and the blades were always falling out of place. Definitely not for me!

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend gave me one to try a couple years ago. Shot a doe right under my stand from 20" up. It busted through the ribs and made the biggest hole I've ever put in a deer. When she jumped it blew chunks out the hole like a horror movie. Made me a little queezy. But it was a one time deal because the blades broke.
I went back to my Muzzys, they've never let me down.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Vortex broadheads and haven't had a problem with them ever. Recently been thinking about using Montecs, have heard a lot of good stuff on them.

They are good. Strong too. If you are into re using, you could sharpen and reuse a couple times. I have had pass thru on a block target and hit a brick house. Only damage sharpened out.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok here goes.... i'll take the abuse from the high dollar broadhead fanboy association members...LOL

First i personally use fixed blades. I love the biggo cut that those mechanicals make, but i've just had too many people have problems with them and thus i don't trust them. This is on stuff i've seen with my own eyes, not a friend of a friend of my uncle's brothers sister. I'm sure there's a gazillion people that love them and have had no problems, and hey, i'm all for ya huntin with what you personally like...they just ain't for me. i KNOW where the blades are and i KNOW they are deployed on my fixed blade models.

Second...I don't listen to what i hear on the hunting shows. They Talk up whatever they are PAID to talk up. Whoever is paying them has the baddest, most deadly, "it's like a bazooka coming from your bow" broadheads known to man. Till next season when they change sponsors. So i let all that go and don't even let it come into the decision. To hear some of them tell it, if you just POINT one at a deer, it'll fall over in it's tracks. LOLOL : ) Besides...these guys are PAID to go all over the country and shoot AT deer. They ain't filling the freezer : ) (Ok maybe a few are)

Third and finally....... this year on my crossbow, i'll be using the fixed blade, cheapo ALLEN brand broadheads from walmart. Yup....fire away, i can take it...LOL. 7-8 bucks a pack.........i take'm home, inspect'm, sharpen'm to where i want them to be and then they are ready. They fly just like my field points do so i'm happy. I'm not spending 40 bucks a pack for three broadheads anymore. Now, if there was a visible, or performance difference that was tangeble i'd spend the 40 in a second. I just don't see it though, so i'll be the first to get on here and say i'm using the cheap ones. I've shot'm in the past and they cut just the same as expensive ones do. I'll spend the extra money on something that WILL make a difference.

Anyways...there's my blathering phoilosophy on the matter...HAHAHAHA

PEACE GUYS...HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would agree with that^^^^^^^

Taking advice from a hunting show is no different than ordering a shamwow off the infomercial...

That being said, common sense logic would lend an upper hand to a three blade broadhead rather than a two blade. Mechanical or not. But, I think it's kill time difference would be measured in seconds, and both would lead to the same end game... Death.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Taking advice from a hunting show is no different than ordering a shamwow off the infomercial...

That being said, common sense logic would lend an upper hand to a three blade broadhead rather than a two blade. Mechanical or not. But, I think it's kill time difference would be measured in seconds, and both would lead to the same end game... Death.

...but.... but... Its on TV.

They cant say it on TV if its not true!

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yup... and the wound channel that it (three blade) cuts would "open up" beter that i single slice through the meat n stuff. Less chance of natural closure i would imagine. (Not having stayed at a Holiday Inn Express) lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom