Random stuff you have made

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Fuji semi-pro gravity sprayer has its own air compressor, with an adjustable air flow. 5 PSI:

https://www.fujispray.com/the-diy-series
Huh. Not familiar with that system so my experience is gonna be mostly worthless to ya.

5 psi is waaay too low to get a good pattern with a standard gun (even with a pressurized paint pot). Air flow that makes the pattern also dries the paint a bit on application. Airless is another totally different approach.

The basics still apply though... thick paint makes orange peel.

Try thinning it a bit, and try moving a lot faster to avoid runs. Also try varying your distance from the workpiece. This approach is actually more like using an airless, because of the high volume they produce.

Let us know how it goes.
:drunk2:

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many years ago I worked for a guy that dealt in hi-line euro cars mainly Porsche. Orange peel was a sign the car had never been painted on most cars made prior to the 90s. If a car was in a wreck I saw them try and find a used panel the same color so the orange peel would match vs having a replacement part painted. It was very obvious when the whole car had it then one panel had been refinished smooth without it.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many years ago I worked for a guy that dealt in hi-line euro cars mainly Porsche. Orange peel was a sign the car had never been painted on most cars made prior to the 90s. If a car was in a wreck I saw them try and find a used panel the same color so the orange peel would match vs having a replacement part painted. It was very obvious when the whole car had it then one panel had been refinished smooth without it.
This was also an issue with some American cars for a few years. A friend of mine had a body shop, and I remember him mentioning having to match the factory orange peel on repair jobs.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
santa and elves 1.jpg
santa elves final.jpg
santa in prog 1.jpg
santa in prog 2.jpg

So much for picture continuity.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

This was also an issue with some American cars for a few years. A friend of mine had a body shop, and I remember him mentioning having to match the factory orange peel on repair jobs.

Not so much an issue today. A good HVLP gun and modern base coat will lay down like glass if who is spraying it knows what they're doing.

@Perplexed IDK what gun you are spraying with but most HPLV guns (full sized) USED to need at least 35PSI at the gun and ran 10PSI through the air cap by design and maintaining that 10PSI takes a big compressor and 3/8 air line. Probably a 12-15CFM compressor. Most home compressors won't run them for long. Fluid tip will usually be 1.2mm to 1.5mm depending on what specific paint you are squirting. Newer setups may be different, I've been out of it awhile.

Latest posts

Top Bottom