Range detector

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard it's not that big of a difference with the incline factor. There was a guy on archery talk who did the math and it was a difference in most cases of less than 3 yards. The only time it really added up is if you were hunting in super steep mountains chasing after sheep.

The average deer hunter in a stand won't know a difference. PS: I've had good luck with my Nikon range finder the past 4 years.

I know over the years shooting a Bear Kodiak magnum compound, If I had a deer at 25 yds, and I'm sitting 15-20 feet up in a tree, I have to force myself to aim a little low.

I think alot matters on the speed of your bow as well. With my compound 300fps it hasn't really mattered. But if your shooting an older/slower bow it might make a difference.

I think this makes a lot of sense. The old Kodiak ran around 260fps, and the crossbow is running 350, so less correction would be needed.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It makes a pretty good difference when trying to his a small target. Set a target 20 yards from the base of your tree. Then put your stand at 15' up in the tree and take a shot.

Here's some info on the subject. There is a lot more to back this up.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3197/is_n12_v34/ai_8331121/

I couldn't find the exact link, but a guy had a formula for it. It came out to only a few yards difference from a tree stand. More of a gimmick for bowhunting, but might be worth it for rifles at steep angles.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1029645

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4229685/2

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For bow hunting, I usually use my boot heel to put a mark in the ground at the 30 yard mark from the direction I walk in, putting it in a spot I can see from my stand. Then I can gauge pretty much any reasonable distance from my stand. With my setup, anything up to about 30 yards, whether flat or from a stand is essentially one pin. The only exception would be a deer right under you in which you have to aim high.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
[QUOTE but might be worth it for rifles at steep angles.

[/QUOTE]

Now your entering into a whole new thread. It blows a lot of hunters minds how much shooting uphill or downhill affects a bullet VS horizontal.
The physics behind it are the same as a bow, but much more exagerrated. Much more.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm running a Swaro Laser Guide and a ACI (angle cosine indicator) on my Edge. For shorter range shooting one of the cheaper units should work ok for you. You may want to check out cameralandny.com for their demo deals.

Latest posts

Top Bottom