Range detector

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am ready

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not sure if that is what it is called or not. Been watching the outdoor channel and they refer to something called a range detector or something like that that tells how man yards away a deer is. Am I misunderstanding what they are talking about or are there devices like this? I looked on Academy and couldn't find anything about it. If it is legit, where do you get them and how much are they?

Thanks.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many years ago before they sold laser range finders I used an inexensive archery range finder for a season or two. It was only for typical archery range. You looked through it like binoculars at an object and it presented two images. You then turned a dial until the images became one. Then look at the dial and read the range off of it. It was ok for predermining ranges from a bow stand, but you could just as well guess the range and the rangefinder did not account for your elevation if in a tree stand.

If you do use one and you hunt from elevated positions or you hunt hilly or mountainous country you will want one with an inclinometer built in to figure your true range for shooting rather than the distance from your location to target. I could see how they would be very helpfull for long range shooting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The inexpensive range finders will do yardage very well.
The newer ones have the inclinometer like Sniper John is talking about.
If your using a bow from a stand, and shooting at a 45 degree angle, one of the inexpensive ones will give a false reading for distance.
The newer ones will do an internal calculation to give the actual distance.
If your rifle hunting at longer distances, it doesn't matter that much. Any of them will work.

ldmtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not sure if that is what it is called or not. Been watching the outdoor channel and they refer to something called a range detector or something like that that tells how man yards away a deer is. Am I misunderstanding what they are talking about or are there devices like this? I looked on Academy and couldn't find anything about it. If it is legit, where do you get them and how much are they?

Thanks.

Several companies make the laser range finders. I have a Bushnell that I use for golf. They are extremely accurate and easy to use. You should be able to find one for around $200.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many years ago before they sold laser range finders I used an inexensive archery range finder for a season or two. It was only for typical archery range. You looked through it like binoculars at an object and it presented two images. You then turned a dial until the images became one. Then look at the dial and read the range off of it. It was ok for predermining ranges from a bow stand, but you could just as well guess the range and the rangefinder did not account for your elevation if in a tree stand.

Man, does that ever bring back memories.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The inexpensive range finders will do yardage very well.
The newer ones have the inclinometer like Sniper John is talking about.
If your using a bow from a stand, and shooting at a 45 degree angle, one of the inexpensive ones will give a false reading for distance.
The newer ones will do an internal calculation to give the actual distance.
If your rifle hunting at longer distances, it doesn't matter that much. Any of them will work.

I've heard it's not that big of a difference with the incline factor. There was a guy on archery talk who did the math and it was a difference in most cases of less than 3 yards. The only time it really added up is if you were hunting in super steep mountains chasing after sheep.

The average deer hunter in a stand won't know a difference. PS: I've had good luck with my Nikon range finder the past 4 years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom