Ras 12 AR10 upper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So has anyone see the Ras12 ar10 upper that takes propriety 12 gauge shells that look like rifle rounds. The shotgun looks really cool but seems to expensive bc the upper is like 2,500. I dont like the new 12 gauge shells either. But i think if the new shells become popular(i doubt it) the regular shot shells should be called 12gaugeR for rimmed like 7.62x54R. The new shells are not rimmed like the regular shells every other shotgun is chambered for. Supposedly the new ammo will b widely available when released. The cost is just waaay to high for a shotgun. I think a person could buy two MKA 1919s for the same price and buy lots of ammo and mags for them for the same price as just the ras12 AR10 upper. I encourage yall to look this up bc it looks cool but to me its not worth the price and having a new type of ammo that may or may not b avalible.

Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely a cool alternative for the weekend warriors, but I'm with you on the price point. $2500 could very nicely outfit a pair of perfected saiga12's.

RAS12MAN

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hello All,
I saw this thread and thought it would be helpful to provide a straight from the company update! We are shipping RAS product and ammo and have been since August. We have Accusport, Ellet Bros, and RSR as distributors and are growing our dealer base daily. We have established a close vendor\supplier relationship for ammo components with Remington. The bottom line is that we are enjoying a tremendous amount of early excitement and success. I would love to extend an offer for one of the OSA staff folks to conduct a product review? I will tell you a few interesting facts, first our ammo is able to be reloaded as many as 5 times. Our ammo is being produced by us in signifigant volumes and is being added to other major ammo producers offerings. Its a fantastic coyote or hog hunting option and with a rifled slug will fit for other uses. It is quite overwhelming as a home protection tool!!! Let me know how I can answer any more questions you may have? thanks for your interest.
Jeff Edwards
CEO
www.intrepidts.com

p.s. Our prices point at retail is much less then what is quoted here by poster above.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mr. Edwards im not OSA staff but since u responded to my thread. Can i ask u why you made a new boat tail 12 gauge but no double stack mags? Is there gonna be a version that uses both new and old 12 gauge shells?

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ammo reminds me of the gyrojet and will most likely suffer the same fate. This is the Achilles heel of this product and will be its downfall unless it's adapted to use standard shot shells or a die/tool is provided to convert standard shot shells for use in the upper. Personally, I would not pay $15.00 for a box of 5 buckshot rounds. not only are they overpriced, they are proprietary. I can't shot them in any of my other shotguns and I can't shoot standard rounds in this.

Develop a an upper that shoots standard 12ga shot shells and you may have something. I'm your target market. I have the money to spend on just such a device and REALLY want one! (I even started a thread a while back asking why shotguns never made the conversion to box mags, like most other firearms). the price of the upper seems fine, and it appears to be well made. the cost of the ammo and almost certain lack of availability in the future is keeping my money in my pocket.

Proprietary ammo will probably have more value as a collectors item in 20 years than something that can be carried into the field. Sorry to rain on your parade.

I've done work on box mag shotshell feeding. I know where you're coming from. It's not an easy engineering problem. plastic shells were never meant to 'scrape off the top' of a magazine. there are problems with hang-up, side wall collapse or breach. dealing with the crushing of crimps. . . it's a real SOB. not to mention feed ramp problems - - and on and on.

saltydecimator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
(I even started a thread a while back asking why shotguns never made the conversion to box mags, like most other firearms)
I've done work on box mag shotshell feeding. I know where you're coming from. It's not an easy engineering problem. plastic shells were never meant to 'scrape off the top' of a magazine. there are problems with hang-up, side wall collapse or breach. dealing with the crushing of crimps. . . it's a real SOB. not to mention feed ramp problems - - and on and on.

Boxed mags haven't been a go cause ATF /goober mint shuts down any "tacticool" non generic pump shottys. Usas 12. Stryker. Tried to kill the saiga but that backfired. So we have a leg up. Now we need to entrench so that when the next fight starts we will have a larger group of infantry.

Tell me more about this engineering you been talking about

BobAsh

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Feeding geometry/forces are fiddly to get right, and any gas-op shotgun is going to be picky about ammo, but its not impossible nor rocket science.

That being said, is it possible to enhance feeding by eliminating the lip and adding a conical tip? Sure.

It looks like a solid design, and you've got my respect for sheer guts if nothing else. This is a very risky product for a high-end market.

Latest posts

Top Bottom