Re-bluing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently got the job of removing a Cera cote finish from a shotgun. The owner had it done by another smith because he was convinced it would last longer than hot bluing. Cost him the same but after just one season it was still coated but mared up so bad that he could not stand it.

He tells me that he hunted with it more this year than last and it still looks new. Coated guns are fine if you want to change the color or take really good care of the finish but bluing will last longer.

I charge $135 to hot blue an 1100 and that includes a full clean/lube/inspect and lap the bore. Not as cheap as cold bluing it yourself at home but it sure looks better.

Sorry I live so far away but I do come to OKC a few times a year because I have lots of family down there.

coffeecup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the Offer.

If the shotgun was a family heirloom or something similiar, I wouldnt hesitate but this gun is nothing special as far as sentimental value..

I may reblue the gun myself . Thanks for the input .. ..

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to think if a gun got wear on it, that it needed a new paint job.

Not anymore. :disappoin

All of that wear is treasured memories, IMO. ;)

That's why I hate to buy brand new guns with purdy finishes. If one is already scarred up, it don't bother me to tote it as much.

I know, I know...:screwy:

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
last year a did a viet nam combat shotgun project on an old stevens model 67, the bluing had turned to patina and it was perfect for the been there done that look of something carried around in the mekong delta, it gave it personality. i'd leave a gun as is, rebluing only hurts the value

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a few guns that warranted re-blueing. Just down right ugly and no strong value to them in anyones eyes. But like most have said a re-blue on an expensive gun will hurt the value, unless professionally done (hot blue) and even then sometimes.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I understand the not wanting to hurt the value, or the "worn / character" sentiment, but if I want a high polish shiny blue on my gun, I don't give a lickin spit who thinks I shouldn't. If you want it to look new, get it refinished.

I look at it like this: if my grandpa had a gun, that he wore everywhere, put some good honest wear on the finish, and he kept it that way, I would keep it that way if it was passed down to me. Because that would be the way I remembered grandpa having it. On the other hand, if grandpa had a gun that had been passed down generation to generation, say a Winchester 1873 1 of 1000 (yes, I watched Winchester '73 last night) and it had been kept like brand spanking new up to grandpa having it, and then it got passed to the bad uncle of the family, and he drug it out hunting and let it go to crap, rusty, tarnished... if it then got passed to me, I don't care if it was worth $50k in the original finish, and refinishing made it lose $49k of that, I would refinish it, because that was the way I remembered grandpa having it. It's a gun. The sentimental value of it is in the condition that makes it sentimental. Not necessarily the most valuable.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also have no problem with it. Never been a collector and never will.
Just for the guys who trade guns every couple days it's something to think about.

Latest posts

Top Bottom