Re-bluing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeecup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Previous post should be titled Re-bluing. Can I successfully reblue at home not having any special equipment ? Do the bluing kits actually work? thanks..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about re-bluing with the home kits, but I'd check prices with some of the members on this forum like Honeybee and see what they will charge to do it professionally. He did a shotgun of mine, and I'm really satisfied with his work and I didn't think the price was unreasonable at all.

coffeecup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The gun is probably worth paying someone to reblue but I dislike having too many dollars in any particular gun. I'll have to check on the values of Rem1100s and see if this situation is worth the extra cabbage..

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The gun is probably worth paying someone to reblue but I dislike having too many dollars in any particular gun. I'll have to check on the values of Rem1100s and see if this situation is worth the extra cabbage..

Ya' pay for what ya' get. If you want to de-value that 1100, try doing it at home with one of those 'kits'.

coffeecup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
e' Nuff said and lesson learned before any harm done. I'll decide whether or not I want to spend the money. The gun would sure look nice being re-blued, ... .. but then I'd have to refinish the wood.... ..

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Epoxy based, bake on, coating. Has some other stuff mixed in as well, moly, teflon. Good , tuff stuff if applied correctly. Requires an 'oven' to bake on. Also, parts need to be blasted w/ aluminum oxide, and comletely clean and oil/grease free. Matte, tactical type finishes, many colors available. There are some coatings that don't require baking but IMO they don't hold up on metal very well and they are too 'thick' for a tight fitting arm. Those I use on synthetic stocks (the no bake stuff). Most home jobs I've seen don't turn out as well as those applied professionaly, I'll get an ear full for that!

Latest posts

Top Bottom