Really cool gardening ideas ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been looking for some ways to garden vertically (like on the fence) and in containers ... Check out these thingees! Hmmmm ...

Part 1 of three parts ...

Last edited by a moderator:

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I'm thinking Ima gonna need some PVC pipe, some hogwire and some burlap fabric. I might line that burlap with some plastic. Seems like the wind would dry that out awful quick ...

Part 2 of three parts ...

Last edited by a moderator:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have always used chain link fences for cucumbers, peas and green beans.
Since moving to the country, we have switched to cattle panels. put a couple of t posts in the ground and make the panel bow up enough to walk under it. Cucumbers on one side and green beans on the other. By mid summer there is a complete canopy that one can walk under, and pick the veggi's while standing up.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve raised gardens many years in the past but haven’t done much for the last few seasons since we’ve moved to our present home. It seems here that I just can’t keep the deer and grass out of the garden spot. There are usually eight doe that like to bed down at night where I wanted to have my garden (they loved the midnight snacks I provided) but I don’t have the heart to seriously attempt to run them off.

This last year I tried building a couple dozen self-watering containers (5 gal bucket within a bucket idea I seen on the web) and growing the crop in an enclosed dog run, which has a concrete pad with a 6’ chain link fence around it. It seemed to be going pretty well at first, with everything sprouting up and growing like crazy until that hail storm we had in the early spring. Everything was beat down hard and torn up and never really recovered. On top of that, I don’t think I had a great soil mix to begin with, so that is something for me to work on next year.

Are you seriously planning container gardening? Have you done containers in the past? What type of soil mix did you use or are planning on using?

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife and I did a lot of scrounging before last years planting season and came up with 6 livestock water tanks of various sizes. filled with a mixture of old straw, topsoil, and composted manure. Last summers garden provided us with as many fresh veggies as we could eat plus some to give away. Best part of this is the fact that everything is slightly below waist high and above. You'd be suprised at how many veggies can be grown in such a small area.
We also found 3 old bath tubs that are now a strawberry bed. We're looking forward to planting season this spring!

Our total investment in the garden was less than $250 and that included a $100 truck load of topsoil!

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve raised gardens many years in the past but haven’t done much for the last few seasons since we’ve moved to our present home. It seems here that I just can’t keep the deer and grass out of the garden spot. There are usually eight doe that like to bed down at night where I wanted to have my garden (they loved the midnight snacks I provided) but I don’t have the heart to seriously attempt to run them off.

This last year I tried building a couple dozen self-watering containers (5 gal bucket within a bucket idea I seen on the web) and growing the crop in an enclosed dog run, which has a concrete pad with a 6’ chain link fence around it. It seemed to be going pretty well at first, with everything sprouting up and growing like crazy until that hail storm we had in the early spring. Everything was beat down hard and torn up and never really recovered. On top of that, I don’t think I had a great soil mix to begin with, so that is something for me to work on next year.

Are you seriously planning container gardening? Have you done containers in the past? What type of soil mix did you use or are planning on using?

Yes, I am. No I have not. I've got Mel Bartholemew's book (Square Foot Gardening). I'm thinking about adding a little more perlite to that mix and using it. I have a fenceline that gets pretty good sunlight, too ... Also toying with the idea of trying a little hydroponics too ...

If I have my way the backyard will look like a jungle by fall ... :bolt:

Eastok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've done a little square foot gardening in the back yard with upside down buckets above the raised bed. It really is surprising how much can be grown in a small area. Moving out of town soon though and didn't think about the deer til I saw this post...uh oh

Latest posts

Top Bottom